Thursday, October 29, 2009

And the BRAVERY award goes to...........


I just have to say that my little AL is the bravest girl I know! We went for our
H1N1 and seasonal flu shots last night and she was so brave. She didn't cry, whimper or even look sad, in fact a few minutes later she hopped back up on the chair and kept trying to give the nurse her arm again saying "arm, do it again"! She did her mother proud! (She must take after her father because I have always been a chicken about needles until I entered the world of fertility treatments, pregnancy and c-sections and got over it!)
I must admit that I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders getting our little family vaccinated (now I just need to keep us healthy for the next 10 days until it becomes effective). At least I have done what I can do. I ended up being a 4 hour process but I was somehow blessed with patience and didn't get annoyed one bit. T kept the kids at Grandma's house until I was close to the door and then they all came and joined us. It was 9:15pm when we left (way past bed time) and both kids were amazing the whole time. I have to admit that I actually really enjoyed having the opportunity to get to chat with some wonderfully nice random strangers for several hours in line (how often do we ever get that chance? And talk about a great opportunity to meet people outside of our normal circle). I have chosen to look at the 4 hour wait as a wise investment of my time. I know I would wait at least that long at the ER with a sick kids let alone the sleepless nights and days of nursing sick babies and I don't even want to think about the worst outcome than can come from getting this flu.
As a total side note for anyone wanting to know....I was surprised to read the info packet I received that noted that if you do get sick you are contagious for 7 whole days after you first get sick to which they recommend you stay home for the 7 days.

1 comment:

  1. Well, the day we were going to go get our immunizations, we ended up having H1N1 in our home. Thankfully it didn't last too long and we were all well to go Trick or Treating. 4 Hours... you are an insanely patient woman!

    ReplyDelete