Sunday, March 28, 2010

A little break .......

It occured to me a few weeks ago that since T and I became parents 2 1/2 years ago that we haven't had one single night alone away from the kids (crazy)! We of course would love to have a kidlet free vacation but with having kids so close together and all the complications that came along with pregnancy etc prior to that I have felt that it is a lot to ask to have someone take care of two babies. We are planning to take a fabulous trip (the kind I drool over when I see pics on FB or blogs) in the next year or so when the kids are older and more independent but for the time being I decided a little "staycation" was in order. A few weeks ago I found out my Dad was going to be out of town and my mom was free and willing to watch the kids so I planned a little surprise getaway for us. I booked us into a beautiful hotel downtown (I felt a bit bad about the fact that it was a half a block from T's work but heck, he has a great view from his office). I got the large king size suite, jacuzzi tub, romance package etc. I had planned to keep it a secret until right before we left but the kids got quite sick and Thomas was feeling sick too so I had to spill the beans the day before to see if it was even possible for us to go.
We managed to escape after the kids were asleep and we had a wonderful time! (Thanks to my mom for putting up with a less than perfect sleep here)
It was so nice to have a break away to just relax. After the sleep deprived week I had with the sick kids I was happy to pay top dollar for some great sleep :)
We enjoyed some sleeping in, an amazing breakfast and then spent some time in town at the farmer's market and perusing some trendy stores in the gorgeous weather (15C) before making our way home in the afternoon. It was truly a great break!

I have started to run a bit over the past few weeks even though I have always hated running. (It is slowly getting better though). The weather was perfect so I decided to hit the pavement for a bit and it was actually almost enjoyable. When I got home the kids seemed to be doing better health wise so we took them to the school down the street to try out one of our new kites. It was so fun to watch the kids run free all over the fields!


We got the kite up and had a great time flying it with a few other fellow kite flyers.


The kids eventually got distracted by the playground and we had a fun filled time playing and visiting with friends and neighbors that also stopped by.


BUT as is life all good things must come to an end. When we headed home AL was cranky and tired and went to bed an hour early which seemed to be expected since she had a middle of the night party with her Grandma the night before but she woke a half hour later hysterically crying about her ear hurting. I ran her over the the Medicentre and waited almost an hour with a crying and screaming child (fun times) just to be registered and then was told to go home and wait another hour before we could get in(I think they wanted us to leave because I am sure we were driving everyone crazy...haha) Anyway, the poor girl had a bad ear infection and got some meds. I felt like Mother of the Year for taking her outside to play which I am sure made it worse. BUT I have to tell you that I had so much patience dealing with the situation and the sleepless night that followed because I had had the perfect little break in the action the night before!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Can a Mama EVER get a break? Bonus points for trying and actually getting to your romantic getaway! I keep the hope that in ten years we'll see that week away somewhere tropical. Sans kids.

    ReplyDelete