During the summer months our TV hardly gets turned on; we are just too busy playing and having fun outside. Sadly the winter has been an entirely different story. My kids go off and play, we bake, do crafts, play games, etc but I often notice the TV is still on regardless.
I have been trying to make an effort to limit TV time but finally came up with a concrete way that the kids understand. I made a little sign to hang by the TV when it is our "No TV Time". During these set hours the TV can not be turned on (it doesn't however mean that we watch TV the entire time when the sign is not up; it is just an option at this time). By setting a time frame it has made me be a better Mom and actively find ways to fill this time with the kids.
Today during our "No TV Time" this morning we made St.Patrick's Day decorations to get us in the spirit of March. We played hide in seek, did laundry, got a few things ready for preschool, played with toys, read library books, had a few squabbles, and ran a few laps around the kitchen island!
I can tell that this is going to be a real positive thing in our house. What do you do to fill these endless winter days indoors?
That's an awesome idea... although at our house we just have the problem of little people turning all of the electronics on and/or off... any ideas for dealing with that? Winter is hard, especially when it's too cold to venture outside, thanks for posting some great tips!
ReplyDeleteI think that's a great idea! Like you said, being concrete times is probably a lot better to follow. Our family had a rule for all of our growing up, no tv after supper. I like it. In an age when everything is electronic it's hard to limit yourself sometimes. I'm thinking of doing that with the computer for myself...
ReplyDeleteGreat idea Sarah. TV is never an issue in the evening since Daddy is home and he is plenty entertaining....lol! Setting the times has been great for me with making sure I avoid the computer during that time as well.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that idea. Thanks for sharing it. I'm very interested in having something in my house like that.
ReplyDeleteSheri- I always have this ongoing dilemma in our house too. Its a constant struggle because Kennedy doesn't have anyone to play with, so if its not me, she's bored. She doesn't play well on her own, so tv is on so I can get things done too. Its tough, but now, she cleans with me and does the laundry with me and we do a lot of crafts here. but I hear ya, on this issue, its just tough. Good job on the sign, maybe I should try that. ps. in the summer, we need to get together and play!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea!!! And I love the idea of no t.v. after supper! :)
ReplyDeletehaha, don't feel bad! I think every Canadian parent goes through that in Winter (feeling like the TV is on too much) but its just so hard! But great idea with the times, we tend to have similar times for TV too.
ReplyDelete