
Rewind to two weeks ago.
I was sitting in my doctor's office telling her about a lump that I had noticed in my left breast. As she examined my right side we laughed as I made jokes about my lack of anything in that department since having children. The doctor smiled and laughed right along with me and then I saw her face instantly drop and become dead serious. I knew that she had found the lump and that she could feel it too.
Within one business day I was at an appointment for a mammogram and ultrasound. As I sat in the room with the mammogram machine waiting for the nurse to return from talking to the radiologist, I noticed I was surrounded by literature about breast health and breast cancer. It was all a little surreal and then I noticed that every piece of literature featured a picture of a women.....a women anywhere from age 50-70years of age. At 30 years old I felt very out of place. I hadn't given much thought to breast health at my age until this moment.
The lump was a cyst and I am in the clear for now. I will however never miss a month of self breast examination from this day on. I will not think of it as something that I don't need to worry about until the magical age of 50. As stressful as wake-up calls can be they sure can bring much needed perspective!
Have you checked yours?
my best friend had breast cancer at 22...it's not an old person's disease anymore! great post, glad you are in the clear!!!! x
ReplyDeleteThank goodness everything turned out okay!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are OK! One of the things that I really do appreciate about being pregnant is that I feel like I MUST be healthy with all the tests, ultrasounds, and exams we do these days. Thanks for the reminder to take care of ourselves.
ReplyDeleteSheri, that's so scary, but so grateful you posted about it. We really do need to be more mindful of things like breast cancer from a young age, it's definitely not an "old lady" disease. Glad you checked yours and things turned out well.
ReplyDeleteA good reminder to everyone! at the age of 17 i had a benign breast tumor removed. You never know- do your checks!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are okay. Scary.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder.
That is crazy Sheri!! So glad you are on top of things and got it taken care of!!
ReplyDeleteI'm the lucky one who did have cancer at age 19. I thought for sure I was too young for it but apparently not. (I'm all good now!)
ReplyDeleteThat is definitely a good reminder, I'll be checking my melons right now - hee hee.