Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Thanksgiving Weekend

There is something about this time of year that makes me just want to slow time down so I can soak it all in.  I seriously love a beautiful fall, the warm days, crisp nights, vibrant colors and rich smells in the air.
 
Our Thanksgiving prep started a week earlier as we searched around my sister's acerage for fallen trees to use for a Cub Scout project.  Love any excuse to tromp around through the leaves.
 I had seen a bunch of different ideas on pinterest to use logs as centerpieces for the holidays so we decided to give it a go for Cubs.  Can I just tell you that one of the big reasons cubs is so fun is this lady right here (she is quality stuff)!  The boys really enjoyed drilling holes and then sanding their wood (sanding was purely about killing time ;)
 The finished results made for one cute table setting!  I'm already envisioning a Christmas version with greens and berries.
 During the days leading up to the weekend we were in full party prep, including a few trips to Grandma's house to get a helping hand.  Having my parents just a very short bike ride/walk away is the best.
 We also set to work cleaning the house.  This kid asked if he could help and boy did he ever.  He scrubbed showers, toilets, counters, etc.  Awesome!
 We decorated the house friday and then partied it up Friday night.
 Once the party was all cleaned up saturday morning we headed to the corn maze to enjoy the absolutely gorgeous day.  It couldn't have been better.
The kids had so much fun.


 The train ride was a pretty big highlight for my train loving boys.
 The kids could have jumped all day long on these bouncers.


WR was pretty much in heaven

 The kids had so much fun trying to figure out the maze and clues and we let them decide which way to turn. 
 We decided to go out for dinner to celebrate AL's birthday which fell on the Sunday.  Grandma and Grandpa joined us at BP's (birthday girls choice)
 After dinner we headed back to our house to give her a joint gift.
 AL has been pouring over the American Girl catologues for an entire year.  She circles her favorite dolls, accessories and dreams big dreams.  Her and the neighbors often add up their wish list and usually they ring in around $800 lol once they pick out everything in the catalouges.  These dolls are pricey and so having grandparents willing to help with the cost was a must.  They are designed for girls 8+ and are just gorgeous.  I am all for encouraging girls to be girls who love dolls for as long as I can. 
AL's smile couldn't have been bigger when she opened her gift.  She was in disbelief.  I have loved every minute of watching her love her doll.

 Sunday we went to church and had a few extra minutes to reflect on the things that we are truly grateful for.
That evening T's family came over for dinner.  Since it was AL's birthday I had given her the choice of turkey, ham or chicken and she chose chicken which was a nice treat for me in that it was a bit less work ;) 
 Dinner was delicious!

 I asked T for a pic and this is what I got so to the blog it goes!
 Auntie D offered to make pumpkin cheesecake.  I was thrilled for the offer of extra help and let me tell you it was delicious.  Auntie D now knows what she will be baking each October!
 Monday we spent time around the house and this guy went on his usual terror of stealing toys from each garage door that was open.  Good thing we have such nice neighbors. 

 We loaded up the bike trailer with the baby, mashed potatoes and jello salad and rode over to my parents for an early dinner (how fun is that?!?!).  My nephew is one lightening fast runner and won the turkey trot race at school a few weeks earlier.  His turkey was award winning and extra tasty.  Dinner was unreal (I think it tastes better when you aren't the one making all the food lol). 
 It was our first dinner at my parents new place.
 Good thing we rode our bikes cause we needed some exercise on the way home!  Too much goodness.

T took the week off and I had preplanned with my mom to babysit Tuesday afternoon between picking JA up from school and getting AL at 3pm.  Originally I had just planned to go out for lunch on a date but that morning the thought of more food was not too pleasant and then it dawned on me that we should go for a bike ride.  BEST IDEA EVER.
We packed up our bikes and headed to the ravine and then biked downtown to the river valley and spent two hrs riding the ravine and river.  The weather was amazing, the scenery breath taking and the company the BEST.
 We rode up and down around the ski hill trying to find a swing my friend had posted and finally found the spot but it had been taken down.  We honestly felt like kids riding all over and having so much fun.  We headed over to the river and crossed a few bridges to get across it.

 Riding up and down along the river was truly gorgeous.  We also loved riding past T's work (tall building on the left) and laughing at his coworkers stuck inside ;)  We explored a few hidden trails and then headed all the way back through the tree lined trails. Autumn at its best.
 We made it back just in time to pick up AL.  Going to see Wicked this summer was a pretty great date this year but I think this one wins for the best.  We can't wait to go on more dates like this next year.

We have been busy working on things around the yard and house and homework for T this week.
I got up our halloween decorations.  The kids are pretty happy with the outside decor.


Now they can't wait to carve up a few Jack-o-lanterns in a week or so.
This weekend has given me so many moments to pause and reflect on all that I am grateful for; a loving family, a chance to be a Mom, our gorgeous surroundings, an amazing and loving spouse, the gospel of Jesus Christ just to name a few.  We are truly blessed.

1 comment:

  1. What a packed weekend! Whew. Great pics and fun to read about what's going on with your fam. :) Happy Birthday A!

    ReplyDelete