Adventure #1 - Baking Bread
I have never had much luck with baking bread and never really had much patience for the long process of it all but I have lately felt strongly about trying to make as much as I can from scratch and avoid processed foods where I can. While visiting teaching the other day my companion filled me in on her wonderful "1 Hr Bread" Recipe. It is made with liquid lecithin which is a product that replaces the oils needed in breads, it has a much longer shelf life (good for food storage) and is much healthier for you. It is huge in places like Utah. It isn't sold in most places but I was able to get it in South Common at the "Bulk Barn" and you can also get it at the Bosch Store too (there may be other places but those are the ones I know of). It looks like honey in a jar and is located right next to the honey. It is super sticky and messy so they recommend putting it is a squeeze bottle so you don't measure just squeeze and there is no mess. Anyway, here is the recipe. It was so simple and absolutely delicious (nice and light and fluffly). I made the whole wheat which requires apple sauce and all I had was apple-banana sauce from the kids and it worked great! I seriously threw everything in the mixer, then into the pans (no kneading required), let it rise, baked and had bread within the hour.

1 Hour Bread Recipe
10 1/2 cups bread flour (do not use all purpose) I used whole wheat
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
3 rounded tbsps instant yeast
3 tbsp liquid lecithin (squeeze or pour directly into bowl, do not measure, its a pain to clean up)
4 cups hot tap water
Mix dry ingredients. add lecithin and water. mix for 1 minute and check consistency. if dough is too dry add more water. Dough should be very sticky. Mix for 5 minutes. spray counter and pans with Pam. Shape loaves and cover with a dish cloth for 25 minutes. bake at 350 for 25 minutes. This makes 4 loaves.
*For whole wheat bread use the same recipe but add one cup of applesauce as part of the hot water and 1 additional tablespoon lecithin. Mix for 10 minutes.
Adventure #2 - Spin Class
I have been pretty dedicated and kept up with my resolve to work out and eat healthier these past couple months. It has paid off in that mentally I feel way better and physically I have finally lost those last 6 pounds and managed to get myself back to my pre-marriage weight!
I have loved working out at home but decided to treat myself and pick a class a week to go to just as a great excuse to get out of the house! I went to my very first spin class on Monday and it was intense. If I am being honest I actually wasn't sure if I could do it within the first 5-10 mins but then it got better..........way better. I felt such a great "high" from finishing the hour class and working up a huge sweat. My behind was pretty tender from sitting on the bike the next day but it was so worth it and I will be back for sure next week. It was great to challenge myself like that.
Adventure #3 - Plastic Smile
I had braces not once but twice in my teen years. My teeth were seriously bad. They are now way better than what they ever used to be but they have shifted and moved and so I finally decided to do something about it. A couple weeks ago I started my year long adventure with Invisalign Braces. They are plastic trays that fit over your teeth that move them in position. I was able to see computer imaging of what they end result will look like which was pretty exciting. I get a new set of trays every two weeks that come with that wonderful pain that braces have but I don't have to look like I am 13 again and flashing a metal smile. It has been an adjustment since you can't eat with them in and can only take them out for less than two hours a day and need to brush and floss every time you eat SO it means basically no snacking at all! I thought I may starve the first few days but now I am just planning meals better and working it out. I took some "before" pics but I am not going to post those until I have some "after" pics (I don't want to point out all of my flaws....lol).
Adventure #4 - Seedlings
I loved having a vegetable garden last year but since our growing season is so short some of the things I planted just didn't have enough time to grow so this year I tried planting seedlings. I was shocked at how fast they have grow. Within days they were already sprouting! Now I am just hoping they don't outgrow their containers before I can plant them. If you have any suggestions for successfully transferring them I would love to hear them.

It has been fun trying a few new things! (I wouldn't want life to get boring)
Way to GO SHERI!!!! I am so proud of you! So many cool things you are doing for yourself and family. YAY! Okay, what is this lecithin stuff? I should just google it, but what do you think of it? That bread looks delish! I made 1hr bread once with fast acting yeast but compared to the bread maker is was tedious....I thought I could leave it, but I had to tend to it the entire hour.ANyhoo. Your seedlings can be planted in the ground just like that, with the netting and everything. The net bothers me (somehow I think the roots won't all get through) so I let the soil dry out until firm and then transplant without netting. Easy.
ReplyDeleteGood work Sherri, I may jut need to try that bread recipe! Your family is so cute, I love reading the updates! Al looks so cute and excited for her parties in your previous post!
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed Sheri!! Good for you doing all these great things. I need to try your bread recipe...it sounds sooo yummy!! And that is great that your exercising is going so good. I'm not as dedicated as I should be...and spin class sounds like a killer, but I'm sure it's worth it..hehe!
ReplyDelete:)