Friday, October 29, 2010

Mom Advice needed

So we are working hard on potty training for the millionth time but we are actually having some great success and a way better attitude (on part of the little lady). Anyway, we have been using a little potty BUT she is terrified of the real toilet (we do have a child seat on it). My question to all you Moms out there is how do I get her comfortable with the regular toilet? Let's face it, we need to be able to leave the house and there are only very large toilets out in public washrooms so we need to get over this fear soon. Any advice???

4 comments:

  1. I held Teigan while she sat on the toilet....to help with her fear and to avoid having her touch the public toilets. At home, we have the insert that fits on the regular size toilet. Walmart, $10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any advice as Zach was okay with me just perching him on the side of a big toilet, but I feel for ya. Potty training is stressful, especially going out in public. Maybe try having her "practice" on the big potty at home and have a sticker chart for her? Might be a lame suggestion, but stickers are Zach's motivator. Good luck Sheri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely have to find the magic bribe for stuff like this- something she wants more than she can resist. If it's something small that she gets every time, great! If it is something bog, put it in a place where she can see it OFTEN and then do a sticker chart. Once she goes on the big potty 30 times she can have her reward. My friend hung a HUGE dump truck from her ceiling for a MONTH to get her little guy trained. But it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potty training is the worst! So glad things are going good for you this time. I only ever had a little seat thing on the toilet for Ryker, but I would always hold his hands in the beginning...and kind of hold him (if that makes sense). I also have a little doll from wallmart that goes to the bathroom on the toilet after she drinks from a bottle and I had Ryker teach her how to use the potty! He loved doing that. It was only around $15 at walmart. A sticker chart would be fun too...you could let her help color it??!! Or I've heard smarties as a reward work??!! Good luck! I hope you find something that works.

    ReplyDelete