Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Out into the World

Yesterday was AL's first preschool class on her own. She of course had a fantastic time; she walked in the classroom door and never looked back.
Rewind to 4am when I awoke in a panic. I was startled awake with the realization that I still have so much to teach her before she goes out into the world on her own. I started to question why I had ever placed a step stool in our bathroom; does my little girl actually know how to hop up onto a toilet without a step? (of course she can) Would she be fine at school in the bathroom? (of course she was) My mind started spinning, had I taught her to say "please" and "thank you" well enough? If another child in the class was crying or upset would she know to go and be a friend? Would she ask the teacher for help when she needs it?
My mind raced in a million different directions and I spent many moments this morning trying to reinforce the things that I had hoped I had already taught her.
As we knelt and said a little prayer before we headed out the door, I realized that perhaps the thing I hope she has learned the most is to turn to the Lord when she needs Him.
My job is far from over and today gave me a glimpse into the heavy load that comes with being a mother but I am still excited (and a little overwhelmed) with the task to teach and mould little ones in to wonderful little people. I too will be praying for extra help with this one!

1 comment:

  1. Oh do I hear ya! Sweet thoughts :) It stresses me out having my little guy away from me now for a whole afternoon!! what??!! I really can't handle it, but I think it's another way we learn and grow (both of us...). And they always seem to surprise us!

    ReplyDelete