
Your IT band isn't a muscle so it can't be stretched and it runs from your hip to your ankle. If you have a muscle that is too tight in your hip or leg it can strain this band. Boo. I have always been good at stretching after every run but you can bet I will be working with a resistant band to strengthen my hips after this.
The first 2 weeks my knee and upper band hurt 24/7, eventually this pain only flared up if I walked a couple blocks. On Friday night I went for massage therapy which must have worked wonders because I have been able to walk the neighborhood relatively pain free! I am going to physio this weekend but I couldn't resist trying the shortest run tonight. It was pretty pain free while running (hooray) so we will see what the next day brings. I have had to exercise HUGE control to not over do it and just run out my door, pain and all and run far away, releasing stress, the way I love to.
This "time out" has really shown me just how much I have loved the mental benefits that come from running (Give it a try if you haven't). What a world of difference it has made for my patience while parenting and my overall confidence in myself. LOVE IT!
I am really hoping that I can make a quick recovery and build back up to where I was before the snow flies and getting back up to the longer distances becomes almost impossible. Wish me luck.
I'm sure you will be back to running in no time! I'm already itching to get back to some kind of exercise routine. I hope I can be as dedicated to my health (and sanity) as you have been!
ReplyDeleteI do wish you luck! That is no fun. I too am suffering from lack of running-ness. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteJust so you know, my butt DOES look like that.
ReplyDeleteAnd that it totally freaky about just walking aorund your neighborhood! I'm so glad you got it figured out and hopefully you're on the 100% mend.
Glad to hear your knee is feeling better...and that you're being smart and taking it easy. Only do what you feel works for you. I've been trying to support our rs running/walking group...so even when I have my kids with me I pack them up in the chariot and walk. It is true that it is a huge stress reliever! haha!! Good luck!!
ReplyDelete