With Thanksgiving coming up this weekend I wanted to focus our FHE (family home evening) on just that. I will admit that I am not perfect about holding FHE each week but I do try. It is often met with some form of grouchiness or fighting at moments from the children, ugh. Please tell me I am not the only one who has this problem?!?!
Tonight I got out our placemat circles the kids used to sit on for our at home preschool circle time. It sure helps when everyone has their own space on the floor. We sang a favorite primary song followed by a silly Halloween song "3 Little Witches" accompanied by witches on popsicle sticks (even Baby W got one). They loved it. We talked about Thanksgiving, why we celebrate it and what we are thankful for and who we need to thank. We then made a little thankful turkey craft. We had some chocolate pudding for treat (fat free of course thanks to my fitness plan). I was shocked when AL kept asking what was next and didn't want it to end! That never happens. I love little moments of success.
We are going to have a pretty sweet looking centre piece on our thanksgiving table this weekend ;)
One thing I am thankful for is my little Buddy. We were having dinner at our friend's house last night and minutes before we were going to leave we heard one of those horrid cries from JA upstairs. The poor boy had his finger slammed in the door. Our one friend is a fireman and was pretty concerned about it and urged us to have it checked out. It was 8pm when we headed to the hospital and my poor Buddy was so tired and pretty nervous. The hospital was crawling with some "interesting" people. JA was amazing when he had his x-rays and held so still (I can't even imagine how difficult it would have been with a 1 yr old). We had to wait hours. The doctor finally saw us and thankfully it wasn't broken. He was pretty sure it had an "invisible" (hairline) fracture and that sooner then later he would be back to normal. He is one sore boy today but he is a trooper. It was one of those proud moments as a Mom to see how brave he was considering he is Mr.Anxiety! No small success.
Baby W is growing up more and more each day. His new tricks include hanging out in his play centre while his siblings
Last but not least we are deep in the midst of planning Miss.Al's birthday party. She has been very specific about what she wants; a purple and green kitty party. I'm not the world's biggest cat lover but I am giving it my all. All I can say is thank goodness for Halloween cats in every store to help me aplan this party. Here is a sneak peak at the invites.
Stay tuned for more October fun. The month is just beginning but it is going to be a good one!
I am terrible at doing FHE! We didn't do it when I was a kid and I feel overwhelmed by it and tend to ignore it. I will try to be better! And I LOVE those invites- SO cute!
ReplyDeleteFeels so good when FHE/scripture study/family prayer are just part of what we do. There are definitely times when we get lazy about some things or are not at home at the 'time' we usually do it, but having grown up in a family where these things were inconsistent I did not expect to find a greater bond with my young family. We also sing the primary song Family Prayer (?) to signal to our children that we are getting ready to pray. (Let us gather in a circle, and kneel in family prayer....) FHE has been one of the avenues where our children have learned parts of the gospel that have not come up in day-today conversation. It makes a difference even this young! I'm sure you could tell at least somewhat what children came from home where the gospel was taught. I know I can tell with the young women...
ReplyDeleteIn our house it started to go much easier when I involved my kids in the planning of FHE. We take turns now and we have a chart that says who is doing what and then we rotate it each week. As soon as we involved the kids they started to love it. The hard part is allowing them to choose sometimes. Lesson can make me laugh when it's my 6 year old planning it. We did freeze dance to the piano guys last night for activity.
ReplyDeleteShari