Saturday, February 16, 2013

Family Day Weekend

Monday is our wonderful Family Day holiday.  Love that holiday!  We have Monday lined up for a bit more work on the house, painting and all that fun so we have been busy enjoying some amazing spring time weather the past two days.
We spent yesterday afternoon at the neigborhood park swinging and sliding and enjoying the unheard of 9C.  Fun.

(ignore the poor quality on the pics.....kicking myself for not bringing a better camera)

I was up bright and early this morning and caught the news (before any children could request cartoons) and they were taking about the local Skate festival that was taking place.  Not sure where I have been but I had seriously never heard of it.  We packed up the kids and picked up T's Mom and had just the BEST afternoon.  I couldn't even get over how many events they had and the best part was that it was all free.

Not the best pic (T thought he was taking pics but it was really set on video ;)
Sled dogs getting ready to be hooked up.  This pup had the most icy blue eyes I have ever seen.....so sweet.
 
 We went in the teepee and heard a great legend who was healed through a circle dance, watched a girl do a "Jingle" dance, while men sang and played the drums.  Maybe I am getting old but it was so beautiful, I had tears in my eyes.

 Horse sleigh rides........love the sound of the jingle bells
 
 

Gotta love a few treats! (there was hot chocolate to drink, bannock making and a maple syrup treat to make as well)
 The ice slides were the highlight by far for the kids.........they went on them over and over again!
 
Old school curling on the lake

Ice castle.........love time spent with this bunch!
 AMAZING ice sculptures (I can imagine how beautiful it will all look in the dark)
 Skating!  There were loads of speed skaters and figure skaters that were amazing to watch.
 Trying out the snow shoes.............he concluded that it was much easier to walk with out then pretty quickly
 AL and T tried out cross country skiing.  They skiied an impressively long trail around the park. 
I have a hunch my kids will sleep well tonight.  What a fun day to try so many new things while spending time together!

1 comment: