Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Random Catch Up

We haven't been up to anything super exciting over the last few weeks just the routine, busy, life kind of stuff.

I was just looking through my camera card and wanted to document a few highlights.

1. JA - I mentioned in a previous post that our boy was getting some excellent support and we are seeing amazing results.
This pic may not look like much but it makes me happy!  JA is in timeout, he is actually SITTING in timeout.  Not a big deal to most but this kid hasn't sat in time out since before I got pregnant with W.  I wasn't able to pick him up while pregnant and he knew it and wouldn't stay for the life of me.  After W was born I resorted to putting a stool in the bathroom for him to sit on and holding the door shut (no much of a timeout for either of us).  When his OT was over a few weeks ago she brought a "visual timer" for JA so that he could really grasp time.  It is a timer that looks like a clock face and the red part gets less as the time gets less.  It has been life changing.  He can now actually visualize the "10 mins until bedtime", "the 5 mins until dinner is ready (ie. you don't need a snack)", the "1 hour mom will be out at the store without him" and the "4 mins in timeout".

2. Speaking of JA - I had a proud Momma moment yesterday.  His SLP and SLPA were over for a visit yesterday and his SLP was telling me about her weekly visits to his classroom.  She raved about what a wonderful kid he is.  How he never has to be asked twice to do anything, how well he follows directions and how she felt he is really an amazing example to the other students in the class.  He has a full time aid at school but his SLP assured me that his aid is only there to facilitate extra practice with his speech activities and fine motor activities assigned by his workers.  She said that the aid never has to redirect him or sit with him during circle time, class activities, etc.  I LOVED hearing these things.  Way to go Buddy!  They did tell me that they are certain he won't qualify for funding this coming school year based on speech since it has dramatically improved (good news/bad news) but they are going to do their best to write strong impact statements to apply for as much help for him for next year so his speech and fine motor skills can continue to improve for kindergarten.

3. Baby W- Poor baby boy has had a rough couple months.  Croup and RSV in Dec, an ear infection in the new year and then a second bought with RSV the past couple weeks.  Throw in a new tooth in the midst of it all and I would say the poor guy has been pretty miserable.  Despite it all though he still tries to charm us with his smile.  Knock on wood but I think he may be on the mend!
4. The house prep continues.  Slowly but surely we are knocking things off our to-do list.  The stove and fridge are sparkling.  The walls have been scrubbed.  The linen closet is highly organized, with crisp folds and a few baskets for smaller items.  This past weekend we (pretty much T) tackled painting the walls in the high traffic areas, patching chips, hole and marks.   It is amazing how lovely fresh paint can make a home feel.  Next on the list is a shopping trip to get a few decor items to stage with......the fun part.  We are aiming for March 1st to list.
     (JA and W were great supervisors!)

5. I heart HEART month!  We have lots of fun crafts and activities planned, the house is adorned with hearts and I can't wait to celebrate the people I love the most.


2 comments:

  1. great updates! and p.s. I'd love any 'getting ready to sell' tips you want to send my way when it's all said and done with. So excited for you guys and all the new changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAY for progress! That makes a mommy's heart warm. :)

    ReplyDelete