I have been meaning to post a bit about my little Buddy. JA was officially diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder last month (specifically "Sensory sensitivity"). This didn't come as any sort of surprise and was actually just nice to have confirmation with what I had "diagnosed" him with at 18 mths old with my teaching background. When our Buddy was a year old we started to notice that he would freak out in large crowds, around loud noises, and in new situations. I will say that it was more then a blessing to have the light bulb moment that I did and be able to realize what was going on instead of just chalking it up to the terrible twos or feeling like he was purposely trying to make life difficult!
I know not all of you are very familiar with sensory issues so here is a little anology from his documentation. "If we imagine each system (tactile, movement, vision, auditory, proprioceptive) as a cup with water in it, we can describe it as being "empty", "just right" or "overflowing". Some children's cups are empty and they are constantly trying to fill them up. Other children's cups are overflowing and they are constantly trying to avoid filling them up any further (this is JA). Some children's cups are just right and they do not have to be preoccupied with filling it up or avoiding filling it up anymore. They do not get distracted or sidetracked and can focus on the task at hand."
JA has a strong ability to notice what is going on around him. His threshold for sensory input is lower, which means he will notice things more then others, picking up on more details in his surroundings. He is bothered by stimuli that others don't even notice and can become easily overwhlemed. He is passive and won't seek sensory input but he won't avoid it outright either. Places like a swimming pool with all the echo sounds, an amusement park, singing time in primary, crowds, shopping stores and line ups can provide a challenge for him. He has amazed me with how he copes on his own (ie. putting his fingers in his ears during singing time in primary, insisting on sitting in the shopping cart, staying close to me and squeezing my hand, asking to leave a situation he feels overwhelmed in, etc etc)
This obviously in no way defines my son. It just helps us understand him more and gives tons of help with the task of helping him learn how to cope in situations that overwhelm him. We all have things that we are sensitive too in the sensory department (think nails on a chalk board, certain smells, crowds, etc), JA just has way more and is working hard to deal with them all.
His OT is helping us create "social scripts" (like the book in prep for his dentist trip from my previous post) along with educating us on many other ways to help him cope better and not let his environment create too much of a distraction (creating a "cozy corner" to relax in, head phones, parents applying a pressure touch, etc). We are truly grateful for the help this year!
We love our little Buddy and know that this challenge is something he can work hard to deal with productively.
I share this with you as just a bit of education. Education truly is key to help us parent and raise the best children we can along with helping us reserve judgment when we see questionable behaviors from children around us!
(Despite the sucker in his hand in this pic, we have made a huge effort to eliminate all sugary treats and drinks, including chocolate milk much to his dimay, and we have seen an incredible change)
I can totally relate Sheri! Ryker has never been diagnosed with anything, but I know he has sensory issues with sounds and smells and has always covered his ears during sacrament meeting whenever it's time to sing. He has worked with OT's and I was once given a sheet called "I am a 'sensational kid!" and I could totally see the areas that he is more sensitive to. Education is key and it's such a blessing to have OT's to help these sweet little kids succeed in life. As parents it's important to be in tune with your children and be able to help them in situations that they might find tough. Being aware of their difficulties with things like line ups and whatever else helps you to be one step ahead. We have done many social stories about "taking turns" "our primary day" and "the swings"...I find them to be so helpful cause we can read and read and read them and then in those situations you use the key phrases and it really helps to remind Ryker. I love your honest post and sweet thoughts about your boy! He's adorable!! We try to eat really good too...and to make sure he eats and gets quiet time and all that good stuff too cause being hungry and tired is NOT a good combination with him! :)
ReplyDeletemakes me happy there are some answers now.....as moms it helps us be better for our kids! still looking for a few 'manuals' over at this house.....
ReplyDeleteI know quite a few children with this issue. I'm so grateful you have help so you can all learn to cope with it and make life enjoyable for everyone. These "tools" are just SO amazing in what they can do.
ReplyDeleteA lot of people ask if I will ever go back to teaching, or why I even bothered finishing my degree when I knew I would eventually be a stay-at-home mom- this post answers that questions and re-affirms it to me. I did it because I knew it would HELP me be a mom. Teaching is great, for sure, but nothing is more important to me than the help I can give to my own children. JA is fortunate to have such a smart, involved mother.
ReplyDelete