I had the extreme fortune of attending a CPR/First aid course for infants and children (and adults too of course) with a very small group of 5 Moms in my friend's home the past two Wednesday nights.
I have taken many a CPR course in the past but nothing even comes close to this experience. The instructor was amazing and tailored the course to our needs as mothers. She took time to answer all of our questions and made it all so fun in the process with loads of hands on experience.
I am not going to go over all of the things that I learned but I urge you to refresh your CPR/first aid. Would you know what to do if your child or baby was choking? (Back blows are back as of 2012) How about if you saw a child get hit by a car at the park? Do you know how to administer an Epipen? Do you know how to transport a severed finger? (in a bag of ice is the wrong answer) How about if you pulled a child out of the bottom of the pool? Came across a child or adult that was laying unconscious on the floor of the school when you went to pick up your child? Had a child having a severe allergic reaction? Do you know how to remove a bees stinger without further poisoning a person?
If you don't feel 100% confident in what you should do then I bet you know other Moms that feel the same way; arrange a similar course in your own home!
One of things that left an impression on my mind was how to use an AED. Did you know that CPR is only 3-5% effective in bringing someone back to life? Did you know it takes an average of 11 mins for an ambulance to arrive? Did you know that if you used an AED it is 80% effective? Did you know that even a grade 6 student could operate one? You would be shocked to realize that these machines line the walls of public places (malls, airports, gyms). Look for the symbol!
I tell you that if I ever will be placed in the situation where I need to use the skills I have learned I sure hope it is in the near future while it is all fresh in my mind........lol. This Sunday my parents and husband are going to get a little mini course ;)
*Practising the Haines recovery postion on AL*

This is awesome. How did you arrange a course? Local paramedic? How much did it cost? A few hours those two nights? I don't know the answers to some of those questions and I got the finger question wrong!
ReplyDeleteFor the finger you want it sealed in its own bag or container and then on ice or an ice pack. If the ice melts at all and gets the finger wet they can't re-attach it!
ReplyDeleteIt was through a private company run by a lady who was a paramdeic in the past. It was 3-3.5 hrs each night. Because it was such a small group she said she taught us way more then a normal group of 20! It was just shy of $100.
100 each? I have a friend who is a recently retired paramedic.....I'll have to put the bug in her ear. Maybe I can lure her with a $500 pricetag. :)
ReplyDeleteI just emailed my paramedic friend! They're moving in the summer so hopefully we can make it happen. Great idea!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear! Honestly who really cares if you get the official "certification". The info is the best part.
ReplyDelete