Thursday, September 18, 2014

Summer Recap #1

Okay, time to come back from my blogging hiatus!  I am honestly shocked that it has been over two months since I have posted.  I'm pretty sure I rarely missed two weeks in the last five years.  What can I say, I was honestly just too BUSY living life this summer that I just didn't have two seconds to sit down and write about it.  I'm determined to try to write a few catch up posts.

I think we left off in July after a week of having T home.  The following two weeks we had the OW 8 yr old girl, that I provided before/after school care for, with us.  I had been super duper nervous for these two weeks because the girls were just plain tired of each other by June and I wasn't sure how we would survive two weeks of full days but wouldn't you know it, we had a blast.  The girls were so thrilled to spend all that time together and honestly were two peas in a pod!  I think the long days at school had been wearing them out so the relaxing pace of summer was ideal. 

The weather was HOT, like smoking hot, feeling like high 30's pretty much the entire time so we lived at the beach most afternoons.  No complaints there.
The girls actually went to an art camp for the mornings the first week.  It was at the church our preschool is housed and OW attends.  I was beyond impressed with the quality of the camp.  It was run by an amazing group of ladies and the caliber of the things they made blew me away; sure beat the camps run by teens that don't produce anything exciting that AL took part in the past couple yrs elsewhere.


 
We took a trip to the zoo one afternoon!



 Their artwork was set out on display at the end of each day of camp.  They were so excited to show me their creations.
 At the end of the week they took home a box filled with treasures.
 The following week we had cousin C sleep over and join us for a beach day and a trip to McD's.  The girls felt so "grown up" sitting at their own table ;)
As did the boys (good thing the place was empty)
 One morning the second week, I packed up all 4 kids and headed to the grocery store.  I felt like super Mom for making it in and out with 4 kids and a very full cart.  I sent the kids in to change to swim suits so we could head to the spray park as I unloaded the shopping bags.  And then I heard the worst sound.  Poor WR had his finger stuck in the hinge of the bathroom door which was completely shut.  Ouch!  Super Mom feelings and plans went out the window fast.  Poor kid ended up with a fractured finger and I ended up sooooooo grateful for a Mom and husband who came to the rescue.
 We went over to visit Grandma on a rainy day to raid her garden and take advantage of her A/C and do a bunch of baking (couldn't stand the idea of turning on the oven in my house that was hovering in the high 20's each day).  A freezer full of muffins made for perfect beach food.
 We also hit up the library
 
During these two weeks there were a few other things that kept us busy;
 
T decided very last minute to take a 5 week condensed MBA course (opposed to his usual 11 weeks).  To say it was exhausting would be an understatement. Just like that I was an MBA widow again.  End of story.

 I helped my friend host a baby shower for a friend in our ward.  Sweetest little baby girl ever!  For resfreshments we made a variety of mini tart pies, um yum!  The turn out was pretty minimal but it was still a fun night of visiting.

 We celebrated T's actual birthday on the 10th and had fun giving him gifts
 T and I got to escape to our favorite mexican restaurant for dinner.  We had such a great time
 While we were cruising our old stomping grounds we had to drive by the house I lived in with roomies when I first moved her.  So many great memories!
 I also discovered the joy of swimming across the lake at the end of a long day after kids were in bed.  Some nights on my own and some with friends.  I don't think their is a better way to relax, wash the stress of the day away and get in a little exercise.
 AL turned into a little fish.  I couldn't believe how much the kids improved with their swimming abilities over the summer.  Seriously awesome.  The swimming area was invaded for the month with these foot long fish and the kids loved chasing them.
 WR made the beach a bit more work BUT I found the secret to success in this gun.  If he had it he was so content to play at the water for hrs instead of trying to run off to the park (can't leave kids unattended in the water while up at the park with him.....always a balancing act lol)
 We seriously loved our beach time and never got tired of it.  I thanked my HF each day for this blessing.
 On the 18th we celebrated WR's actual birthday with some brownies.  He is just the cutest 2 year old.

Stay tuned for more updates.........................

 

2 comments: