School started the very next day after I returned from the wedding. The school is still huge even with the boundary adjustments (860 opposed to 1150 in the spring and already well into the 900's now). With the school size there is always the nerves that comes with not knowing if you will have friends in your class and who the teacher might be etc for AL.
AL was pretty excited for her first day of grade 2 even though she was a bundle of nerves.
AL has wanted glasses for years and will argue with the eye Dr every year that in fact she can't see but to no avail. When my cousins were visiting AL finally bought herself some "fashion glasses" as she calls them and wore them almost daily for a good month. (Now they only appear here and there)
We checked out the class lists for the 5 Gr.2 classes and found AL's name. She sadly didn't have any of her girl friends from last year in her class but she did have a friend from church. It took a few days to feel at home in her new class but she made new friends quickly! So much sweeter then last year.
It only took one day of school to get me into full baking mode. I pretty much hate packing school lunches (only 16 more years to go;)
Kindergarten was staggered entry so JA had his first official day the day after AL which was perfect since it is hard to be in two places at once and the kids line up on opposite sides of the building. JA got a little special treatment after a meeting we had last spring making a plan to transition him from preschool with his speech funding to kindergarten with no more assistance. I was so impressed with how accomodating the school was with his anxiety. They sent home a book of pics for him in June with pics of his teacher, classroom and entire school. The week before school started he got to go in and meet his teacher and tour his classroom on his own. It made for the easiest first day of school with very low anxiety! He made friends so fast and seriously loves school (although a month later he has noted it can be a bit boring lol). He is also so excited to finally be apart of the neighboorhood gang that walks to school.
JA wanted some "fashion glasses" too and wore his as much, if not more then his sister!
The day after school started was meet the teacher night. I love how excited the kids are to show you around.
It is just WR and I every morning and I can tell he misses the kids, although I do find the 3 hrs sure do fly by. One day after school WR was insistant on carrying AL's bag home from school; he could barely even stand upright without her help!
We had some super chilly weather at the start of september and found ourselves keeping busy indoors a bit more. One day after kindergarten my mom asked us to join her for a trip to the pet store for dog food. Some how we ended up coming home with 2 Beta fish!
Fire and Strawberry are now members of the family.
We also had the pleasure of venturing out to the stables where my sister rides to watch her in her very first competition. When the kids and I walked in she was coming out of the ring with the hugest smile ever. She had received a 3rd place ribbon and was beyond shocked and excited!
We watched for a couple more hrs as other riders competed and then finally my sister again. So fun! Finally we packed it in to return home to the baby who had been napping and the studying husband.
At the end of the summer the neighborhood developer finally put in the frist phase of the concrete path cutting across the field/park leading to the school. It cuts directly across the middle and we live on the far end. Regardless we started riding out of the way to hop on the path and ride to school and have loved every minute of it (sure beats wet shoes from the dewy field and pushing a stroller). My kids both know how to ride bikes but always pick scooters. After about a week of this they both decided to really giving biking a go (I swear it was a total stall tactic one night before bed) and it is the best!!!
Riding back and forth to the school three times a day is the best! WR is always in the bike trailer but pretty much every chance he gets he is ripping around on his bike or plasma car with the big kids. There is a serious biker gang on our street of a good dozen or more kids every single afternoon until bed time. We love our street!
And one final "highlight" for the start of september. T's hair was getting crazy long. I cut it here and there and he goes to the barber here and there. One sunday afternoon I called him up for a cut. I called a few time and he didn't come so I made the big mistake of removing the #2 guard to oil the clippers while I waited. He finally arrived and I buzzed straight up the back of his head and pulled up but it didn't pull off the way it normally does..........to my HORROR I realized I hadn't put the guard back on and had buzzed a huge bald stripe up his head and way higher then normal. I was in some serious shock. I would have killed him if the tables were turned. He calmly told me to blend it the best I could. I finally took a pic after lots of cutting (now I wish I had taken one right away cause it was sooooooo bad).
Thankfully one of my sweet hairdresser friends came over and got it looking great! (ie. no more stripe) A good one for the memory books lol
.jpg)














You can pack my lunch! Wow. Maybe I need to bake something for my kids..... Great update!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great start to the school year! That is a GIANT elementary school- how many kids in her class?
ReplyDelete