Sunday, July 19, 2015

Visitors

It had been years since I had seen a lot of my Dad's family.  They all live several provinces away which doesn't make for easy visiting.  And then suddenly we were bursting with their company.  Funny how it never seems like it has been that long until you see them and realize just how much you missed them.
My Dad's mom booked a last minute trip here just last week.  It was so nice to see her and catch up and it was extra nice for her to cement a bond with the kids!  She is exactly the lady I want to be in my old age.  She still golfs, curls, volunteers at the hospital gift shop, sits on various committees and is oh so social and active.  Love that.
She delighted Alysha with a hand knit set of boots and a toque for her doll.  My Grandma's knitting is like perfect art work.  So flawless (she enters her work in her small town fairs as well which I love).
 
 
 In the midst of her visit we had a visit from my Dad's long lost cousin.  There is a good 12 yrs between them and they hadn't seen each other in almost a life time (his cousin hasn't had contact with the extended family in so very long and wouldn't you know it he lives in town!).  He brought over his son who is the same age as JA.  Talk about two peas in a pod.  They hit it off just like long lost cousins.  We had such a fun day with them!


One afternoon JA some how managed to get his Minecraft game stuck in German and so Great Grandma sat down and translated it for him.  Instant love!   
 On the last day my Grandma was here my Dad's older sister came out for the week for my Mom to look after her.  About a year and a half ago she developed Encephalitis (her immune system starting attacking her brain).  It has been devastating.  To this day they still haven't been able to stop it or figure out the cause despite many treatments and efforts of her surgeon husband and physician daughter.  She has lost her entire short term memory and parts of her long term memory and will never regain them.  A lump is rising in my throat and tears are welling in my eyes as I type. 
This lady has been my idol my entire life.  As a child I wanted to grow up to be just like her.  She is a brilliant (a lawyer), oh so beautiful, poised, has the most amazing etiquette and mannerisms.  She was blessed with such a lovely life but was oh so generous with her resources and time, she sat on an end of life hospice board for years, was always so willing to help out family and friends and the most gracious host.  It truly is hard to find such a classy lady. 
She now requires a nanny to watch out for her all day long and note cards to constantly refer back to.  The hardest part with her visiting was that we have all moved recently and she has no memory of the house so she never knew where she was when she was in a room alone.  It broke my heart to see her so confused and to know how exhausted she must feel being in a constant state of not remembering (she was very aware that her memory didn't work).  We did manage to get in some lovely hours of visiting and it amazed me how she was the exact same lady.   We talked about old times, I shared lots about life now even if I knew I might need to reintroduce my kids again in 15 mins.  I loved and treasured our time together. (I wish I could convey my feelings about this all more eloquently)
 She is constantly in my thoughts and prayers.  Her grace and strength through such a hard time is truly an example to me.

T also had a couple visitors too.  His oldest brother came at the beginning of the month for a short visit (I didn't manage to get any pics) and the kids had a blast with him.
T's younger brother came up for work in the midst of our other visitors and they got in some good bonding time at the lake that night. 
Gotta love that summer always brings more family time.  Oh so sweet to reconnect!

1 comment:

  1. Illnesses of the brain. Sigh. I'm so happy to have so many classy ladies in your family to look up to. What a great month for family visits!

    ReplyDelete