Monday, August 31, 2015

Summer Road Trip - Day 10

As sad as I was to leave Parksville I was bursting with excitement to head to Sidney and show my kids where I grew up! I love going Home.
We stopped for an amazing lunch and I couldn't stop starring at the Sidney harbor.  Gorgeous as always.
 When we were kids the docks here were set up a bit different and we spent many an hour fishing and crabbing off them with my Uncle and Grandad.
 We walked down to the fish market and I made the kids go inside.  That smell will leave a lasting memory lol

We walked around the harbor and headed inside to check out the Ocean Discovery Center.  The kids loved it.

 The jelly fish were so fun to watch
 After our trip to Tofino AL declared she wanted to become a marine biologist when she grew up.  She loved all the information there and just soaked it in.


 So many sea creatures to check out
 I loved how interactive it was
 JA was fascinated with this porpus dolphin fetus.  So neat to see up close (the mother had been found washed up on shore dead but pregnant)


 At the end they got to touch some seat stars and other creatures

 We then headed down the the marina to check out the yachts and look for seals.
JA had his eye on some pretty pricey yachts ($850k) and now has his sights set a bit higher ;)
 We then walked over to the Sidney Bakery.  This place hasn't changed a bit.  It smells exactly the same.  My Grandad used to always take us kids on a walk over there and we would eye up the Big foot donuts from the outside display window and the aroma would just suck us in.  This place has been in business since the 1930's.  No other donuts will ever taste as good.  A must stop if you come to the Island.  We took our treats down the the beach and enjoyed every bite.
 As we munched we started noticing all the sea glass all over the beach.  AL picked up a pretty big collection!
 I then took them on the tour of my childhood.  First stop 8539 Burgoyne Pl.  The home of my childhood!  I then cruised them past my elementarty school (how many people had an ocean view from the windows of their classroom???)
By this time my childhood bestie TT was home from work and so we crashed her place.  It had been almost 2 years since we had seen each other and it was the first time that I met her adorable daughter.  It was so wonderful to catch up.  They were the best hosts too!
WR loved Baby P
 AL was pretty smitten too with her
 WR was also pretty fascinated with the cat door :)
 After a delicious dinner we walked over to the park to burn off some energy before bed.  I've often thought that AL and TT look alike but wow do they ever!  It was fun for the kids to realize that we had been neighbors and best friends since we were probably 2 years old (neat for them to realize that they may be friends with our neighbors for a life time)
 Jelly Bean the cat was a favorite all around.  The kids were in love.
After an action packed day it didn't take too long for the kids to fall asleep!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!!!! SO many fabulous things for your family to experience from you past! Ilove it!

    ReplyDelete