Friday, September 25, 2015

September Madness for the Mom

Well, September has been a wild ride! Glad to see it end.
I started out complicating things a bit by getting my remaining 2 wisdom teeth out the day school started. It was miserable but I survived with just freezing and even walked myself home. End of the week I had an infection in the lymphnode in my throat from it. Fun :/
Throw in the madness of Cubs (and a husband in night class at the exact same time each week), piano lessons, sportball, cross country races (also at the same time as Cubs and school), school council meeting, teaching the RS how to make jam, welcome to scouts night, taking a meal to a mom, the food drive and all the other demands on a mom like homework, cleaning and meals (plus a cold) etc and you can sense the exhausted feel!
In the midst of it all however there was an overwhelming yet exciting distraction. Rewind to last June when I started getting strong feelings out of the blue to go back to work. It wasn't even on my radar for a few more years so i will chalk it up to a little inspiration, from there the stars just started to align and it all came together. End of July I had my application package into the school board (I had to apply from square one again after 5 yrs out of the industry). It takes 6 weeks or so for them to screen it and last week I got called in for an interview.  I literally studied 8hrs/day for 2 days between the call and interview.  It was amazing all the memories that came flooding back as I dug through my old boxes of teaching stuff! I love teaching 💖
I was beyond nervous for the interview, worried I wouldn't be able to articulate all that I know, worried my absence would be looked down on rather than seen as an invaluable education that would make me an even better teacher. Thankfully my interviewer started out with some huge compliments regarding my application and assured me I was hired from the get go and the rest of the interview was relaxing as conversation flowed easily.  I sign some papers later this week and will be back on the supply list. And then we will see what positions might come my way.
I am so excited to get back to a job I love a couple days a week. Clearly it will make things a bit more complex at home (but WR will be in my mom's good hands so not to worry). I truly feel like it will be so good for me to do something for me. I want to be sure that no matter what life throws at us I have retained my education and could care for my little family if needed. My children are thrilled at the thought of me subbing in their school.
Stay tuned for updates on this new adventure!

2 comments:

  1. That's a big September for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. busy, busy. Having good childcare makes working outside the home so much less stressful. I have yet to convince my mother in law to become a stay-at-home grandma (it's a running joke between us).

    ReplyDelete