We just got back from a whirl wind trip to Cypress Hills Park in Sask for my cousin Brooke's wedding. We left Friday morning and I must admit that I was a bit nervous about our first trip as a family of four. Armed with tons of toys, books, DVDs and snacks we headed out. (As a side note I am even more in love with our van after this trip......I never thought I would love a van!) The kids did amazingly well. We only had to make one stop due to a bit of an AL melt down when she woke up from her nap after only a 1/2 hr instead of her usual 2 hours. We actually ended up stopping in a seedy tiny town that consisted of about 40 super run down trailers. We played at their rusty old playground that was probably about as old as I am (it managed to do the trick though, I just wish I had taken a pic.
The park itself was amazing. As we drove into Sask I was serioulsy doubting we were going to the right place; the landscape was nothing but bleak prairies and bad lands and then as we turned a corner and entered the park it was like driving straight into a little slice of BC. It was beautiful and we wished we could have stayed longer so we could have played and visited more. We stayed at a condo at the Resort which worked out perfectly with the kids. Thomas managed to get in some golf before the wedding and we managed to sneak in some time at the beach to play and paddle boat and eat icecream after the ceremony.
The wedding was beautiful and I had to hold back some serious tears. My cousin was gorgeous! It was close to 30 degrees for the ceremony but it was set in amongst a sea of trees and with the breeze blowing it was perfect! (My hubby was a saint and stayed at the condo while the kids napped during the ceremony so it was even nicer not to have to worry about how noisey they would be!)
The reception was tons of fun. AL managed to entertain table after table. She went up to a complete stranger and sat on her lap and ate most of the poor lady's dinner! James was super entertained by the decorations hanging from the roof and the disco ball.
AL danced the night away and showed off all of my best dance moves (it is a bit scary watching your daughter dance just like you do............I think she may have been blessed with my lack of coordination; poor girl!)
All in all it was so fun to see family and stay in a gorgous place with perfect weather. I can't wait for our upcoming trips to Kelowna and Shuswap Lake this summer.
I've never really been to Sask, but never thought they had trees like that at all either. Looks like a great get away and time with family.
ReplyDeletePS. My girls are now: almost 6, almost 4, and almost 2.
Sounds like an awesome trip! We have a family vacation with all the Pizzey side at Cypress Hills when I was younger and it was awesome! Its so beautiful there! I'm glad the kids did well!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the wedding was last weekend and not this one!
ReplyDeleteWe used to go to Cypress Hills when I was young, and your pictures brought back some good memories. It looks like you had such a fun little vacation!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you guys had a great time! It's so nice to get away as a family :)
ReplyDelete