Monday, June 15, 2009

Is this for real?!?!

I had the strangest experience last night. JA developed thrush in his mouth a few weeks back and I took him over to the brand new Medicentre down the street. It was the best visit to a Medicentre ever........there was no one around and I had seen the doctor and left with prescription in hand in less than 10 mins and the Docotor and pharmacist were amazingly nice. JA was supposed to be on meds for 10 days but after almost 3 weeks things still weren't clearing up and JA seemed super cranky from it last night so I packed him up and headed to the medicentre for what I hoped would be a repeat of last week. Wrong!
I walked in and found only two people in the waiting room so I was hopeful until I sat down and chatted with one lady that said she had been waiting almost an hour and there hadn't been any other patients go in. Long story short I waited with one cranky tired baby for almost two hours while the docotor saw 2 other people ahead of us. I started to really wonder what the heck he was doing (taking lunch?)
Anyway, we were greated by an older Russian doctor who walked and said in his accent "Where is Little JA Bond?". It was cute and I thought we should be out quick. I preceeded to tell him why we were there and he responded be telling me to turn on the oven and get it really hot (What?) and then put JA's hands on the oven until they burn but not long enough to blister. Repeat this several times and this way he won't ever touch the stove again. Um............what the heck?!? I didn't even know what to say. He wants me to burn my child.........I thought I was there for thrush. (I'm not about to burn my child; I'm sure child services takes your children away for that) After repeating my inital request and a request for eczema cream for JA he said a bunch of things I couldn't even understand and said he would be back with a prescription. He then left for almost 20 mins and I was starting to question where he had gone and if he had forgotten about us. The whole visit made no sense. He just babbled alot of crazy things at me. (Ie. bathing JA in only ice cold water and being really mean to JA and forcing food down his throat)
When I left and went to the pharmacist she recognized me from the previous visit and I told her what had happened. She told me he had told the lady in front of me to put her daughter in an ice bath to "freeze out her ear infection" cause that is what they do in Russia. The pharmacisit gave me some real advice (which included not to use the cream the Doctor had prescribed for JA eczema). I left the Medicentre completely confused. I had gone for help with thrush in JA's mouth and I am now supposed to put him in an ice bath and burn his hands on the oven.........WHAT?!?!? I must admit that I am totally bewildered and dont even know who to call to report this guy!

5 comments:

  1. WOW THAT IS CRAZY!!!!! I MYSELF WOULD BE VERY CONFUSED HE TOTALLY MUST HAVE BEEN HIGH OR SOMETHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes!! You think when you go see a doctor that they will know what they are doing. Obviously not!! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called and filed a complaint with the clinic manager who was in total shock. She was going to call their head office right away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH wow! At some point in the visit did you think you were on candid camera? That is the only conclusion I would have been able to come to if I were there.
    That is crazy.... you can also report him to the Alberta college of physicians. Google them for phone numbers, I think they are also in the phone book.
    Can you imagine if someone less intelligent than you actually took his advise? That's nuts I have never heard of something like that!
    I'm glad you didn't burn his little hands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. Psycho! I agree with Shyla - are you sure it wasn't a candid camera thing? Cuz that is just too crazy to be real! Crazy doctor!

    ReplyDelete