We just returned from a week of holidays in Kelowna, BC. It was a pretty rough holiday with our kids sicker than I had ever seen them before (I will post more about some of the highlights of the trip soon). It was quite the crazy trip but I wanted to share a little story that happened the second day we were there.
We stayed with my Granny in her condo that is full of seniors. It is a nice size and she was so kind to have us and our grumpy crew stay with her. AL was having a great time exploring the bedrooms and the rest of the condo and was in love with riding in the elevator. She even had one of the neighbors taking her for rides around the building on her walker! Anyway, on this particular afternoon AL had gone down the hall and a minute or two passed and I thought I better see what trouble she was getting into. I snuck down the hall and checked the first bedroom and then the second and no AL; I then checked the first bathroom and was heading to the second when I looked down the hall to see the front door wide open. (The door handles are all a lever type that she had been close to opening several times). When I saw the open door my heart stopped. I ran out the door and looked down the hall but she was no where to be seen. I ran down the hall like I was running the 100m dash yelling her name. There was nothing but silence. As I rounded to corner to the elevator I swear I started to go into panic mode (The building is huge and she wasn't there). Right as my heart was about to stop and panic set in I heard crying coming from the elevator. I pushed the button, the doors opened and there she was! She had got the elevator to open and I sure she was pretty shocked and scared when the doors closed and she was alone.
Having a missing child (no matter how short of a time it is) is the worst feeling.
Needless to say I had the dead bolt on the door the whole time and kept JA's car seat up against it the rest of the week!
Wow!! I think my heart would have done the same thing. She is smart little girl to get onto an elevator all by herself before she is even 2!!
ReplyDeleteUGH! My heart was beating fast for you! I hate that feeling of not knowing where my kids are.
ReplyDelete