Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Potty Time?

I have been thinking over the whole potty training thing lately and AL is starting to show signs that she is ready but before I dive into that scary task I thought I would ask if anyone has any potty training tips or helpful resources they can suggest. I am hoping to make it a positive/successful experience so I would love any tips and advice you can give!

4 comments:

  1. Clearly I have not yet been there myself with Kalea, but my mom is an amazing potty-trainer. Haha, do you know Darcy Bennett? My mom potty-trained him! Haha! Anyways, she always says to let the little one be your guide, if she doesn't get it in a few days, give it a rest for a week or two and try again. Don't be like my cousin, she waited and waited and waited and one day her little girl pulled her into her bedroom and said "look mommy, i'm a big girl"- pointing at her diaper next to a pile of well, you know :S Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing I learned about toilet trainging: introduce the topic. Tell them about it. I went to a thrift shop and got a doll that wets herself. Don't spend too much money on one. It's just good for a little while to show them. I got out books from the library. If you can tell they are about to have a messy diaper, I run them into the bathroom, "Quick, lets go on the toilet!" Just teach them everything they would need to go. But (here's the important part) is don't push them to do it. Which I tried with my oldest for over a year!!!!! They may show signs, but until they make a determined decision that it's something they want to do, it won't happen, and it will be stressful for everyone, for a very long long time. It makes it become a negative thing. So with my second, I introduced the concept. Then I would catch her during the day and she would go. Then she would start to tell me when she had to go (about half the time). This lasted for almost a year. Then she started taking off her diaper and wouldn't keep it on, at all. So we threw an Underwear Party. She got to go pick out the underwear that she wanted (Dora). We got Dora celebration party supplies. We had lots of juice boxes for the party. Then everytime she went, we had a little celebration. We blew up balloons, had a little treat. We read books about the toilet, we used the doll. Any time she had an accident, we would take her around the house and ask in each room, or area, "Do we go to the bathroom in the living room". "No." Until you get to the bathroom, "Do we go to the bathroom in the toilet?" "YES!" It was so much more of positive experience with my second than with my first!!!! Just make sure you always keep it positive, because there will be accidents, even messy one, sometimes many of them. But make sure it is when they want to. Hope this helps. I'm doing it now with my almost 2 year old. She tells me sometimes when she has to go during the day and we put her on, or when I catch her before she has a messy diaper. Sorry this was so long, but I don't want anyone to have to go through what I did with my first for over a year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sisters in law (30 nieces and nephews) and mother in law keep telling me "when they're ready, they're ready." Well T has been exhibiting all the signs for months now and still prefers to use diapers. So I am still waiting, although I do try every few weeks to push the potty. So that's where I'm at. Now she's three......

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister in law did the whole party idea and it seems to work pretty good. The day, they watched some potty training movies together, read books on it and than that night all the family came over and we all got her cute underwear and threw this party. Kate even got to throw her diapers away in the garbage. And then every time Kate went successfully she got to pick a tiny little treat or gift from this muffin tray.

    ReplyDelete