This weekend has been a busy one with Thanksgiving, baptisms, baby blessings, teaching RS at church and everything in between (and it isn't over yet). I knew this would be an action packed weekend before it started and I got a bit more adventure added to it on Friday.
I have been substitute teaching since the spring after being on mat leave since I had our girl. I only try to work a couple mornings a week or all day on Thomas' Fridays off and it has been great. It has only been over the past few weeks that I have even started working again this school year. I ended up taking a few jobs at a wonderful elementary school and got to know the principal over the last couple weeks. Anyway, long story short the principal mentioned last week she may have a job for me just a couple mornings a week. She had me in again on Friday to teach and then she offered me a job teaching 4 mornings a week (I wasn't even looking for a job). I was so excited about it at first. It was ideal as I wouldn't have a classroom and would just work with students with high literacy needs. I left the school excited but as I drove home and saw my little babies waiting for me when I walked in the door I started to feel burdened with stress. T and I sat down and weighed out all the logistics of salary, child care costs, my prep time and all extra meetings I would need to attend, along with the reality of the days I have been up all night with sick kids and will need to work, etc.
On Saturday morning we had the pleasure of attending my nephews baptism and when I walked in the church door I briefly told my sister about the job and the stress I felt. Even though she was in a huge rush getting things organized she sat down and said that she would never take a job that didn't give her complete peace when she thought about it and the affect if would have on her family. Those words meant a lot. After praying about it and debating it in my mind a million times over I sent an email turning down the job (great job, bad timing) and I immediately felt a huge weight lift off of my shoulders and felt at peace. The teacher part of me would just love to work with my own students but the mom part of me knows that I have 2 pretty special little guys that deserve a mom that is not distracted by other things...............they grow up way too fast (My girl is turning 2 tomorrow) and I am sure there will be plenty of time to work!
I have to admit that even though there are some crazy moments here at home, I would never trade going back to work for any of them! You are an awesome mom Sheri!
ReplyDeleteAren't we lucky to have that 'extra' assurance to help us make decisions.
ReplyDeleteI've been feeling the same way lately! Back and forth. I love being home with Kennedy, but the money is also nice. You are right, there will be lots of time later to work.
ReplyDeleteI am SO proud of you. I was wincing as I read this post anticipating the outcome and was very happy for your decision. I know what it feels like to have the career strings pull and want to be with other adults and feel more of whatever. I also know the relief of having passed that crazy test of importance. Whew! Despite how crazy and dull being a SAHM can be sometimes, it is and will be worth it. Congrats!
ReplyDelete