I love to check out the furniture for sale on Kijiji randomly to see what is out there for refinishing. Last week I came across this dresser that was solid pine (solid wood is a must) for only $25! I jumped at it at once. Actually the man selling it didn't respond to my first email right away and I was so excited that I emailed him again. It turns out I was lucky because he said he had 20 other emails after mine.
Anyway, it was super ugly but had potential.

It also came with a mirror that attaches to it.

I started sanding it the next day and after two long hours in the sun sanding it looked like this.


I found layers of white paint (several) intermixed with layers of blue, yellow and even some gold paint. I was super discouraged but then in the back of my mind I remembered reading a blog about using furniture paint stripper. I headed to Home Depot and picked some up. All I can say is that it was like liquid magic!! Within an hour I had the paint removed down to the wood. (Just a word of caution if you use this, be sure to buy the gloves that go with it and be fully clothed. I got some on my knee where I had a hole in my jeans and man did it burn)

I decided to paint the dresser black and antique it to go along with a night stand I just did.

After painting the dresser and letting it dry over night I took the sander out and roughed up the edges that I wanted to distress. I then took a dark stain and stained over the entire dresser which gives the distressed areas a more antique look. Finally I put on a clear coat of varathane.
The next step was to find some new hardware and thanks to Lee Valley Tools I had tons to choose from.
Here is a peek at the finished product.

Here is a closer look at the edges.

I decided to put two styles of hardware on it.

Here is a look at what our room is looking like right now (I have a few more projects planned so stay tuned)

I am pretty pleased with the way it all turned out and the fact that I spent less than $60 total on a new (to me) dresser!
I haven't refinished the mirror because I am leaning towards just finding a mirror to hang on the wall opposed to attaching the mirror that came with it BUT I would love our opinion on that one.......what would you do???
Next on the list of projects is to attempt to reupholster a wing back chair that I just acquired for the living room. I have never done one before. Are any of you reupholstering experts??
looks really good. Way to go!
ReplyDeleteLooks great and awesome tip about that paint stripper I will def remember that! I have a friend that did a couch not too long ago, but her tutorial isn't all that great. If you look up "Better After" it's a blog and she has all sorts of links to really good tutorials and projects people have done. Hope that helps!
ReplyDeleteThat turned out perfect!! Good job!! Do you wanna come do my projects now??!! haha!!
ReplyDeleteAlright, that is beautiful! Way to go, Sheri! Isn't it so satisfying to do something like that? I save money, too? Yay!
ReplyDeleteWow love it! Nice work. I vote to get a new mirror!!
ReplyDeletei love it!!! I am tackling a dining table and 6 chairs, painting it black except the seats, seat backs and table top are going to be a chocolate brown. You have inspired me to get the stripper though, I was scared of it when I was reading the label!! Keep your projects posted, I love reading and the pictures!!
ReplyDeleteGood work Sherri! Nice choice on hardware, very classic and I love how you did the top 2 different, lovely!
ReplyDelete