Saturday, August 14, 2010

Slightly addicted....aka my latest project

I have to admit that I am becoming a little on the addicted side to refinishing furniture! All I can say is that it is just so much fun. It is probably a good thing I don't live in a very big house so that there isn't a ton of space to put new furniture (that being said I still have a good sized list of projects I want to get finished before winter when I can no longer paint in the garage).
Last Saturday I was running to the store to pick up one item super quick but I got distracted by a garage sale sign. After glancing through most of the items at the sale my eyes rested on a great pine sleigh bed. My heart instantly got excited! I couldn't find a price tag so I was worried it was expensive but upon asking the price found out it was $50! Now I have been looking at tons of headboards on Kijiji lately and the cheapest usually are more than $100 (and they are usually in brutal shape) so this was a deal. But to make things even better I found myself asking if they would take $40 for it and they did!!! (I never ever barter prices so I was shocked to hear myself ask)
I forgot to take a before pic before I started sanding (I was excited) but this is close. It was a nice pine frame but it had a lot of scratches but nothing a bit of sanding couldn't take care of.

I followed the same technique that I used on my dresser in my last post (minus the paint stripper of course) but only distressed it just slightly and I am in LOVE with how it all turned out.

Sorry, I had a hard time trying to get a picture that would capture it well.
I owe my darling husband the hugest thank you in the world for getting that gorgeous bed in my room. As it turned out our metal bed frame was about 1cm too big for the sleigh bed frame but with lots of adjusting and a bit of gouging it is in!! When it was looking doubtful he turned and looked at me and jokingly said "Well, at least you know you can sell it for $40!".
I am thrilled with the fact that I managed to create a bedroom suite (night stand, dresser and bed) for just over $100!
Next on my list is refinishing a desk to replace the Monstrous desk we have from Ikea. I am planning to try a different technique for this one..........can't wait.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! ... and just a tiny bit jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, Mrs. Designer. It looks totally RAD! And what do you do with your kiddies whilst the hours tick away? I need your secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, good question, I was totally going to mention that but i forgot. I do most of it between the hours of 8-10pm after the kids are asleep BUT when the boy is napping I usually try to get a coat of paint done and so I let the girl take a back pack full of her toys and she just plays with them in the van beside me in the garage and she loves it. She has caused a bit of distruction (ie the chapstick she found in the glove box that got smeared all over the windows) but for the most part she is great and just loves spreading her toys all around the van. (Slacker parenting at its finest!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Looks soooo good!!! And what a great price!! You are on a roll. Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Sherri, way to go! The head board and food board look awesome!

    ReplyDelete