
Regardless, the show is based on setting up unsuspecting people into ethical dilemma type situations. Actors play out various scenarios like bullying, racism, abuse, intoxicated parents etc. and hidden cameras record how people passing by react.
This morning I had my own real life "What Would You Do?" moment (minus the cameras).
It had snowed close to 20cm in the past day and so my running partner wasn't able to come for our morning run. I was dressed and decided I might as well give it a try and run/wade through the snow. I had run a few blocks and came around the corner to find a women standing in the bus shelter across the street. A car had just pulled up and a man was standing by the car yelling at the women. At first I wasn't sure what was going on. The women looked so terrified and just kept looking straight ahead. I totally didn't know what to do and looked around to realize not a soul was out in the snow with us. I yelled across the street to the lady and asked if she was okay and if she needed help. She just shook her head. I realized that I didn't have my cell (lesson learned). The man was fuming mad and came out of the bus shelter and started yelling at me with some choice words and telling me to leave. I again asked if they were okay and if they needed help. He was super mad and intimidating but I couldn't just leave that poor women alone. I ran as fast as I could the block up the road to my neighbors. Luckily my neighbor had just shovelled and was heading into his house as I ran over and told him to call the police. He had his wife call the police and then ran back with me to the couple. By the time we approached the man had gotten back in his car and I was relieved that he was leaving. We called out to the lady to see if she needed help. Before I realized it she put her head down, walked slowly across the street and got into the car with the man. I called out that I could help her.
My stomach sank as I watched them drive away and thought about what her day and really her life had in store for her.
After thanking my neighbor for his quick help, I continued to run a bit further but started to feel uneasy about the fact that I stuck out like a sore thumb running in the snow and became worried that the man might just come back and that it might be safer if I just went home. I for sure would have been happier if a TV crew and host just popped out of the bushes and told me it was just a bunch of actors but no luck!
I have felt sick all day thinking about the life that others live (even my own neighbors) and wondering how I am so blessed.
So the question is "What Would You Do" in a situation like this?
That is a hard moment to have to be in. You did the right thing. If nothing else, she knows that SOMEONE cared about her today. She will remember that when she is ready to get help. I'd like to think I would be as brave as you!
ReplyDeleteYou are very brave! I am not sure what I would have done if I were alone, but I agree that you did make a difference in her life, even if she hasn't realized it yet or not.
ReplyDeleteYes, I've seen that show (my life is as exciting as yours, I guess), and I've always wondered what I would do in some of those situations. Good for you for trying to intervene. I feel sick for the woman, though.
ReplyDelete