Monday, September 26, 2011

Leaves

The sickness that took over our house this weekend (see previous post) left us all pretty exhausted and dragging (there is something about your child puking all over you in public that leaves little to be desired...haha).
The weather however was simply divine this weekend and today was still just as fabulous. Crisp air, warm sunshine and fall colors really come together to create something magical.
We may still be far from over the sickness but I couldn't resist heading out to enjoy fall before it passes us by. The kids and I set out with a basket to admire all of the amazing fall colors. They picked leaves in all shades off orange, red, yellow and green filling our basket as we walked.


Pics courtesy of AL
Once we returned home the kids sifted through their collection and picked out their favorite leaves. We then pressed them in wax paper (place leaves between two pieces of wax paper and use an iron on medium heat to set them in.....be sure to place a dish towel on either side of the wax paper so it doesn't stick to your iron or board!)

The kids loved it, especially when we hung their art in their bedroom windows! (I seriously have memories of doing this same thing as a kid; fun to do it with my own kids)
The kids are now both curled up on the couches under blankets but I sure am glad we were able to soak in the beauty of Fall and capture a few colors in between some wax paper.

3 comments:

  1. I always forget about the fun stuff I could do with all the random vegetation that my kids collect whenever we go out! Thanks for the reminder about leaves and wax paper, I needed that! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun little leaf craft! We also like putting the leaves under paper and rubbing crayon over top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, it is TOO early to be getting that sick. It makes me happy for you that ya'll got some fresh air and sunshine. And I knew that leaf activity looked familiar from my childhood. We did a similar thing (laminate at home) but I think I prefer the wax/contact paper idea :)

    ReplyDelete