Remember this post? When we built our house our basement was left undeveloped but we certainly got some good use out of it as a play room and storage space. This past summer we decided to finally finish the basement and it has been one BIG job that has been mostly completed by one AMAZING man!
T has never done any sort of "construction" before so this was all new and a huge learning curve. He worked so hard in the evenings and weekends on and off through out the summer and almost entirely on his own (although I have become really good at drilling screws into drywall.......kind of)
We hired a friend to help him frame the basement and then T embarked on the HUGE job of drywalling. He managed to borrow a lift to assist him in drywalling the top part of the walls and the ceiling. While he had the lift he figured he might as well perfect his drywalling skills and drywall the garage too! (It should make it nice and warm in the winter)
While working in the garage he also built us some great storage shelves on either side of the garage (which work well for locking away children too)
In September T took a week off work and worked so hard to get the rest of the drywall done. The missionaries saved his bacon by lending a stonger hand then mine to help finish off the high ceiling in the stair case.
We hired out the mudding, taping, sanding, priming and ceiling and it was so exciting to see it start to take shape so quickly. I will brag a bit and tell you that when the drywaller came he said that T's drywall job was the nicest he had seen in a long time (nice work Honey)
We then stewed over paint options.
As I type our friend is employed for the week in our basement hanging doors and building wainscotting and trim. I just went down stairs to take a look and my excitement level was hard to contain!
I can't wait to see what it will all look like by the end of the week. (The wainscotting will have a small ledge running across the top when it is done) Then it will be time to paint and the carpet should be in within a few weeks.
Stay tuned for pics of a completed basement and one HAPPY Momma to have a place for my kids to play.
it looks so AMAZING!! I can imagin your excitement. Your hubby has done some pretty handy work given he's never done construction before!! Makes me all the more excited to have mine done (but not for the process, lol!)
ReplyDeleteSo exciting!!!! can't wait to see the finished basement!
ReplyDeleteYAY! THAT IS SO EXCITING! I can't wait to see what it looks like finished.
ReplyDeleteIt looks great already!! I am expecting an invite to play as soon as it's done.
ReplyDeleteAAAHHHHHH!H!!!! I Am so excited for you!!! IT's looks like a real house down there!!!
ReplyDeleteI love wainscoting! The basement looks great, I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product - and see it in person in the summer! What color did you decide on, at first your pictures of colors looked blue and it reminded me of our old house.... :(
ReplyDeleteI thought about some blues but our sofas are blue and I am sure we won't be replacing them anytime soon. I picked the one on the top called "Mountain Smoke". It is dark but I think it will be a nice contrast.
ReplyDeleteI've been slow on checking blogs lately but had so much fun catching up a little tonight! LOVE the Strawberry Shortcake Party. That will be so great to have the basement finished too! I'm excited to see the end results.
ReplyDeleteLooking good Sheri, love the paneling, cant wait to see the end result!
ReplyDeletefound your blogspot from a previous message. Great job on everything from cleaning the computer desk..to finishing your basement. I remember when Rick and I had a house built and then finished the basement it was a great accomplishment. It looks great! Lori
ReplyDelete