Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Christmas Craftiness

With the arrival of a little of the white stuff this past weekend, I am starting to get excited for Christmas!
This little guy is pretty convinced he could be outside playing in the snow all day long. He is turning into the best snow shovelling partner.
I came across this idea on Pinterest while feeling a little of the Christmas spirit and decided to give it a go. I have been wanting to change up our tree for a while now and I thought this ruffle tree skirt would be a good start. It is a "no sew" tutorial which took the person 5 hours to complete. I figured if I was spending 5 hours on it I might as well sew it so it would last longer. I didn't keep track of my time since it was just 10-20 mins here and there but I am certain I didn't even spend 5 hours on it! (To ruffle the fabric with a machine just set your tension to the highest number and your stich to the longest length and you will have instant ruffles).
I took the thrifty approach with this project and actually cut up an old queen sized sheet (which we never use anymore)into 3 inch strips for the ruffles. The base of the skirt is supposed to be a painter's canvas drop cloth but I had a hard time finding one (most were just plastic). When I thought I found one I grabbed it only to realize I had actually grabbed canvas painting towels......lol. I was in luck because they were perfect squares so I just sewed 9 of the 25 towels in the pack together to create a base.
This is the final product. (I may add a few more ruffles once I try it around the tree depending on if it needs it......our tree sits really low so it may not)

A few weeks back my sister invited me to her church's Super Saturday and I had so much fun getting in the some crafting time.
We made this advent calendar (love it). It will be fun to fill the tins with treats and slips of paper with Christmas activities written on them.
We also made an adorable stocking hanger (mine is up on a high shelf in the garage so I will just show you the one my sister made to display at the church). I am excited to have something to hang our stockings on finally.
We also made a few temple pics for the kids' bedrooms that turned out so cute.

I have about a million other projects I want to get done before Christmas but we will see what actually gets done! What have you been crafting lately?

4 comments:

  1. So cute! You've been busy!!! I am trying to keep track of all the projects I want to do but it's getting tough! Pinterest keeps filling my head with crazy ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that tree skirt!!! Great job :) ....and the other crafts are really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly have you ever been busy. Our ward just made some temple blocks just like that for a craft night. SO CUTE!

    Um...the tree skirt...amazing!

    ReplyDelete