Monday, November 7, 2011

Operation: Organization

With our basement just a couple weeks away from completion I have decided to go on a MAJOR organization mission. The basement is looking pretty beautiful and I want to make sure that we don't just clutter it back up with "junk".
We are lucky to have two storage rooms down there and my darling husband built some great shelves in the garage that are now housing the millions of boxes that were once in the basement so the storage rooms will be used primarily for food storage and toy storage/rotation.
Our children's bedrooms have nice sized closets that I have never taken full advantage of until this week. (Ignore all of the boxes of clothes stacked in them). I finally put a large amount of their toys in bins and up on the shelves. I am hoping that this will help curb a lot of the toy mess issues we are always having (I have a girl that loves to make a mess and spread it throughout the house at rapid pace). I have a great plan for organizing toys in the basement too but I think this will help alot as well.
AL playing with her container of Strawberry Shortcake toys
I also emptied out the two toy bins in the living room because I am declaring it a toy free room from now on ;)
I am embarassed to show you the disaster area that is our computer desk. It resides in our bedroom and seems to be a constant dumping ground for paper bills, receipts and then just stuff we are trying to keep out of the reach of our children. It makes me feel overwhlemed when I see it but it is one of those things that just never gets done........until today.
3 hours of cleaning later
I am always on the lookout for a small desk to refinish to replace this monsterous desk with but for now I am happy with it.
My craft table was also tackled today along with the linen closet. Next on the list is the front hallway closet. Time to pack up the summer shoes and organize the winter gear.
It feels so good to haul out bags of recycling, garbage and boxes and boxes of items to donate.

****UPDATE****

The hall closet before (so super embarassing)

Closet After (one bag of trash, one large bag of donations and one large box of coats and shoes the kids have out grown)

Feels good.

9 comments:

  1. Holy Cow lady...you have certainly been busy at work. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. busy lady!! but so productive, it all looks awsome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good. were the kids around or did you have the house to yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had the house to myself..........one can dream! The kids were right there getting into everything. It sure does make for a bit of extra work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good feeling.! Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. I loved seeing the before and after picture. I don't even have kids around, and I'm still dreading doing all the dejunking that I need to. But you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it make me a bad person that it made me happy you had a mess?? lol. I'm sorry, but I feel that is my life right now!! I can't keep up with kids, dinner, tidying, cleaning AND purging and organizing. Like seriously!! Its hard!! So it made me a bit happy to see other people have a mess too! But the other day I did the front entry closet and today I tackled a major catch all spot that has totally gotten out of hand!!

    Good work, sheri!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. let's replace 'embarrassing' with NORMAL!! I will save that word for ppl like me, who have messes like that and don't have kids to contribute to the mess...hahah. Loved the before and after pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how hilarious i looked at this because that's what I'm currently doing and my computer desk was the same way! I finally tackled mine too. And going to do each room until I am happy with it! What a lot of work but very satisfying if you

    ReplyDelete