Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Baby Boy Dresser

Another nesting project completed! I have a LOVE for refinishing furniture and sadly last year with basement renos leading to a packed garage and tons of dust, dirt, etc I just never found the opportunity to really get anything finished (although there are a few still in mid finish waiting for me).
A friend was giving away this dresser and I knew it would be the perfect chance to get back into the swing of things.
Sadly I forgot to take a before picture so you can't see much detail in the above pic. The dresser was in solid shape (love that) but it needed some TLC. It has a feminine look to it so I wanted to make it a little more boyish but still soft and sweet for a baby.
If you recall the crib bedding is all going to be in the yellows and greys.
I repainted this dresser using Annie Sloan Chalk paint (if you haven't heard of it read up on it) and it is truly amazing. Being non toxic was a huge bonus with being pregnant and it allowed me to just paint indoors in our basement storage room! It dries so fast that I was able to get on two coats in an hour, distressed it and then wax took another hour the following day. So fast!
I am still debating going over the dresser with the dark wax that they sell to get a different look but for now, here is the final product.


A closer look at the minor distressing I did on the edges

I am loving how it turned out. I am still looking for a cute "you are my sunshine" printable in grey and yellow to frame and put on the dresser (the giraffe was just under short term loan from AL........lol).

Stay tuned for some more projects!

9 comments:

  1. Nice work! I've seen tons of you are my sunshine prints. Been meaning to print one out as well once I find the perfect one. Seems like the ones i like the best, you have to buy on etsy. But oh well, might be worth it to finish the room off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found these on google search -- the etsy ones are definitely darling... great job on the dresser! :)

    https://www.google.ca/search?q=you+are+my+sunshine+printable,+yellow+grey&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=hwqOT6yjJ4rm2QWx2M33Cw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA4Q_AUoAQ&biw=1676&bih=940&sei=iQqOT5yNNIeC2wWG5YSBDA

    -- Melissa A

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute!!! and i love the colours and you will have to tell me where you got all that adorable fabric from. i can't wait to the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did turn out very well. SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! Isn't that paint the absolute best?? Worth every penny :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! Must go read about that paint!

    ReplyDelete