Sunday, January 6, 2013

Learning Lessons

The past week our house has once again been consumed with sickness but sadly I actually got sucked into it this time.  All I have to say is how thankful I am for an amazing husband who has helped take care of me so I can take care of a sick baby W (immunizations and then double ear infections). 
Through all the sickness and barely being able to get out of bed I have had one thing hanging over my head.  I had to teach YW today.  Now this may seem like no big deal BUT I have been in primary for so so long that this was a bit out of my comfort zone.  I had all the YW, leaders and then the daunting task of trying to figure out the new curriculum the church just put out.  I am not going to lie I felt like I was preparing a talk for all the studying I did reading conference talks, watching videos, reading scriptures and then trying to par it down into something that made sense and something the Spirit was directing me to share with the girls.
I decided to focus on the topic "How Can I Know my Heavenly Father?".
We talked about learning about the nature of our Heavenly Father from the scriptures and from modern prophets.  That He has a body like us, a voice, compassion for us, we can converse with him like a father.
We then focused on prayer and how to build a relationship with our Father in Heaven.  I shared a few personal experiences one of which I will share.
When I was 20 years old my father was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and started to undergo treatments.  I came home from Utah  where I had been attending school.  My fiance and I had broken up (a blessing in the long run but devestating at the time).  My father was in the hospital for months on end and I spent the entire time pleading with the Lord to heal him, begging for what I longed for.  At the end of the summer the doctors told us there was nothing more to be done for my Dad, stopped his treatments and told us to gather our family to say our goodbyes.  In the depths of despair and trial I poured my heart out to the Lord but instead of asking for what I wanted I uttered the words, "thy will be done" and prayed to be comforted no matter what happened.  I won't go into detail but in that moment I knew more then ever before that my Father in Heaven loved me and was there for me.  His comfort and strength engulfed me. 
I am grateful for experiences that have left me without a doubt that I have a Heavenly Father that loves me, is watching over me, has compassion for me and will ease my burdens.
I loved this quote from President David O. McKay, "It is true that the answers to our prayers may not always come as direct and at the time, nor in the manner, we anticipate; but they do come, and at a time and in a manner best for him who offers supplication." Be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes.  Your character will grow; your faith will increase.  There is a relationship between those two; the greater your faith, the stronger your character; and increased character enhances your ability to exercise even greater faith."
I am grateful that the Lord does answer prayers.  That he will comfort us in our darkest hours.
I showed the girls this video and loved it.  Check it out.
Happy Sunday!


1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your post! It sounds like your lesson was amazing...I think I probably would have been in tears. I really love that quote too. I think sometimes it's hard to remember that it's not up to us and that Heavenly Father has a better plan. Through my own experiences I have learned those same lessons...which wasn't easy, but has been so worth it to see how I have grown. And I am amazed and extremely grateful that His plan was soooo much better! xo

    ReplyDelete