Saturday, July 13, 2013

Back at it

2 years ago I was in the best shape of my life and loving running several days a week.  September I injured my IT band (runs from the hips to knee and pain is in the side of the knee) and spent the next several mths in physio.  I started a few short runs (not entirely pain free) in December and then found out I was pregnant and was no longer allowed to run due to doctor's orders.
My knee hurt on and off during pregnancy and then post baby I got back on the elliptical but within a mth the pain was back so I turned to swimming which was great but hard to fit into a daily schedule.

Long story short.  The Spartan Race a couple weeks ago made we want to figure this knee issue out and get running again.  I bought new (highly stable) shoes to replace my shoes destroyed in the mud ;) 


The past two weeks I have had the absolute pleasure of running with my sweet friend 3 nights a week.  With a knee brace, tons of physio stretches, rolling out the IT band (with a foam roller) and icing after runs I have been delighted to feel the pain decrease and get better each day to barely even noticing it!!!!  Such a relief and sanity saver.
I am feeling optomistic that I can rise above this one.  I have two "races" that I am looking forward to signing up for in November and January once I get a bit more running under my belt.  Exercise truly does make me a happier person and is the best outlet for me to have the frustrations of the day melt away. 


****Side note for all you runners*****  I have spent a lot of time researching the IT band injury.  It is the most common running injury and running is pretty much the only way you can injure it.  Be sure to strengthen hips and core to decrease risk of injury to the IT.  Ensure that you have a proper fitting/supportive shoe for your feet and running style (pretty positive that is how I got injured - I bought a new pair of high quality shoes that just weren't right for me).  Investing in a foam massage roller and rolling your IT before/after runs keeps your band from getting too tight and avoids injury (google it).  Wishing I could have been proactive over this one instead of reactive ;)

3 comments:

  1. I have pretty much fallen off the running wagon this past few weeks. I miss it! I just don't have the energy to go in the evenings or to wake up early enough to get a run in. Hoping I can at least keep active WALKING this pregnancy so that I am ready for some fun races next sumer. I LOVE your new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeay! And...the shoes look awesome!

    ReplyDelete