Tuesday, November 12, 2013

DIY Ruffle Wreath

I am in need of a serious blog catch up but this isn't it ;)  The Super Saturday that I was part of putting on at church (that I mentioned in this post) was a success.  I have had several requests for instructions on how to make the burlap ruffle wreath, so instead of doing the FB message thing I figured a post would get the job done a little easier.
I can't take credit for this idea in anyway.  I played around with my friend with several pinterest tutorials and then we asked an incredibly talented lady to teach the class and she put her own spin on it.  This is what she came up with (don't judge the poor quailty pics I just snapped with my phone a few mins ago):

-Buy a foam wreath form at any craft store and buy landscaping burlap from Lowes (or any other hardware store).  My original wreath I made was with burlap from the fabric store which was way pricier and has a way tighter weave that is more difficult to work with.

-Cut burlap in 6 inch wide strips, by about 21 inches in length (Probably the length it comes in)

- tightly wrap a few strips of burlap around your wreath form until it is entirely covered, using a glue gun to secure the ends

 - with your burlap cut into strips, fold it in half length wise

 -acordian fold your burlap back and forth along the length

 -Using a pin like the ones pictured at the top of the post, pin your gathered burlap into the wreath

 -Repeat until you have covered the wreath form (ignore the fact that you can still see the green styrofoam wreath in this pic.  Yours will be entirely covered first. )

The final touches of your wreath is entirely up to you.  The incredible lady who taught the class made dozens and dozens of fabric flowers for us to pick from to pin onto our wreathes.  Some people added wooden letters (representing their last name) like I pictured in my linked post.
 -tule can be acordian folded and added in too!
 -I then tied a strip of lace along the top for hanging it.  I need to run out and buy a few pearl tipped pins to pin my flowers down with and make them cuter
 - A blurry pic showing the letters some ladies added to their wreath


 -This is the wreath that I played around with a couple mths back (still waiting to be finished).  It is made in the exact same way but you don't fold the burlap strips in half and just leave the raw edge exposed.  The different type of burlap gives it this look.

Last week I had been purusing pinterest and saw these adorable ornament wreaths.  After some inspiriation from a friend who made one the next day I gave it a try (the dollar store was the perfect place to stock up on ornaments)
 I pretty much just started gluing on the larger ornaments and then filling in all the holes with the tiny ones.
 I love it! 

Happy wreath making and be sure to send me pics of your creations.  Maybe I'll give a tutorial for the growth chart we made if people are wanting that one too.


2 comments:

  1. I love it all, especially that ornament one. I could stare at sparkly Christmas things all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love the growth chart tutorial too! I'm assuming it is self explanatory....but maybe not....
    I LOVE the wreaths!

    ReplyDelete