Tuesday, February 18, 2014

So what do you do all day?

I've got some picture blogging to do but I need to load pics so maybe later I'll get to that!

My friend KS just did a blog with this title where she went through her average weekday.  I loved it.  I think it will be fun to look back on this one day.  Maybe I'll be surprised by how busy life was with three little one or maybe I'll look back and be shocked at how easy life was compared to life with three big ones......who knows!

Our average week day starts with an alarm at 6:25 am to get us stirring.  Alarms are set for 6:45 and 7:00 as well just to make sure no one rolls over and goes back to sleep. T is usually out the door by 6:45 am or shortly after. On the average day we have our Gr.2 girl and she arrives at 7:15am.  I have run around the house packing AL's lunch, waking her and her brother and turning on down stairs house lights so that I'm ready for her arrival.  The next 40 mins are spent brushing hair, teeth, bathroom trips, breakfast, making my bed (my day is so much happier if that is done asap), laying out snow gear (the kids can't reach it in our current set up which I am changing soon) and packing back packs.  The girls love to sneak in a few mins of coloring at the island too.  By 8am we are dressing and heading out the door to either walk over to the school or lately if we are in the -20's then driving.  On the average day JA has preschool at 9am so we come home for a half hr and watch cartoons while I have a super fast shower or do dishes.
While JA is at school WR and I run errands, grocery shop, visit teach, visit friends, appts, etc etc or just come home and clean.  School is over at 11am and that time just flies by!!!  On Tuesdays we watch my friend's 22 mth old son for the morning, his brother who is in kindergarten joins us after morning kindergarten and their mom gets them around 2:45, that is our crazy stay at home and play day.  The boys love it.  I love having an excuse to just stay home.
After JA gets home we have lunch and put WR down to nap for a couple hrs.  JA loves a little quiet time watching his favorite train show while playing with cars (he will tell me to leave lol) and if the night was rough I might try to get a 10 min nap in or just read my scriptures while it is quiet. I also try to get in a little phone call with my husband at lunch if I can, love a little uninterrupted conversation that is hard to get at home. We spend the rest of our afternoon working on cleaning, crafts, baking, playing games, laundry, dinner prep,etc depending on the day.
WR is up by 2:25pm so we can start getting bundled up at 2:45 to walk or to the school.  We walk/slide over to the school to grab the girls and have a quick visit with neighboring moms.  I love being forced to leave the house no matter the weather, get some fresh air and a little social time.
We often play in the snow for a while then home for a snack and play time and craft time.  My girls love to spending their afternoon working on projects.  By 5pm our extra is picked up.  Dinner prep is in full swing and the kids often like to just chill in front of a show at this point if I'm lucky.  AL and I try to get spelling practise and home reading done around this time if possible.  Dinner is usually 5:45pm.  Daddy is almost always late or catches us at the tail end of it.  It just isn't worth the grouchy hungry kids to wait since we never know when he will appear.  The next hr is spent doing dishes, playing with Daddy, bathing, PJ's, any remaining school work, etc.  By 7pm we are heading to the bathroom for teeth brushing and then picking out stories, reading, saying prayers.  Lights are out by 7:30pm.  WR goes down super easy in his own room.  We have gotten in the habit of one of us laying on the floor in AL/JA's room by the door until JA falls asleep.  Usually 20 - 30mins.  It is just easier to enforce the silence to get JA to pass out then to deal with the silly chaos. I don't mind having a few mins to just lay down or browse the web or if T has his text book to read he will take his turn. AL eventually doses off sometime around 8:30pm on her own.
This past year T has been in school and it consumes our evenings.  He has class at 6:30 pm in the basement one evening a week and most weeks has 1-2 evenings spent at group meetings to complete assignments around the 7pm hr.  Home work takes up the rest of his night.  We usually try to get in some short visit time.  I head to bed just after 10pm after a few mindless TV shows and my hard working husband doesn't usually see our bed until midnight when his school work is done.  It is hard but it is our normal, I'm not going to complain (often anyway) because T works do darn hard for us.  If we are lucky we sleep all night long but reality is that someone has a bad dream, needs a bathroom trip, or a baby is teething  and we are up every few days in the night on a given week.
This is our reality.  Kind of boring but not going to lie I thrive on routine as do my kids so I love that our life is predicatable.

3 comments:

  1. Yep. I think sex ed should be a few days/nights spend in the presence of a family with young children.

    ReplyDelete