Friday, January 30, 2015

Baby Boy

My baby boy keeps on growing up and reminding me he isn't a baby anymore (although I maybe in denial, especially while registering him for preschool).  A couple weeks ago it dawned on me that I rarely do fun crafts with poor WR.  I used to always do that stuff with the other two before they started school but being the third child he just kind of gets dragged all over the place and doesn't get that same home time like the others did.  I brought out the paints for the boys and they loved it.  WR started by sitting on the bench then eventually moved to the table top and then full on laid out.  His look of concentration cracked me up.
 

 On the 18th we "celebrated" his half birthday with a 2 1/2 candles on a dessert my mom had made, he soaked it up.  So fun to add some extra excitement.
 The next evening however went downhill pretty fast.  I knew WR would break our streak of no broken bones and he finally did.  Short version - he hit his brother in the head with a toy and his brother pushed him back, he fell into the vacuum behind him landing on it on his elbow.  Bad mom confession - I thought he was over reacting because he had skipped his nap (it was 5pm) and moments later he crashed hard on the couch; not until he woke up in agony over an "owie arm" did I clue in.  Opps.  This poor kids endured some incredible pain as the Dr tried to figure out what exact on his arm was injured (including trying to "pop" his elbow back into place in case it was dislocated).  After xrays it was concluded his elbow was broken.  This picture breaks my heart; my sweet boy was so utterly defeated at this point after all the torture.
 Two days later the twinkle in his eyes started to make a major come back! 
 The first week was still filled with lots of pain, especially first thing in the mornings.
 But his splint cast didn't slow him down too much (finding clothes large enough to fit over top and accommodate the perma bent elbow has proved tricky)
 WR has had a lot of snuggles and way too much time watching movies as he catches some down time.
 Today we spent the afternoon at the university hospital for some follow up.  He had new xrays which proved to remind him instantly of his night of trauma (and I'm guessing it just plain hurts having your injured arm moved all over).  He recovered quickly after a spiderman sticker and a fun time in the best waiting room ever, he would have played there all day.  His elbow thankfully is healing nicely and he only needs another two weeks in his splint cast.  I was honestly so thankful for that news and that he could avoid a full cast, so we can also avoid the removal process!  He was so good today when the tech made him a new splint cast and got him all wrapped up and in a new sling while it set.  The tech may have snuck him an apple juice and bag of cookies to seal the deal after!  He was wiped out on the trip home and fell asleep which never happens.  What a trooper.


2 comments:

  1. Awh..... Very sad indeed. You know I've done a few dumbs things with the two brown bones over here, too. Love and learn, it's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright. I hate autocorrect when I type what I want and do it right the first time! Broken bones and live and learn. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete