Saturday, November 21, 2015

Remembrance Day

Every November my heart bursts with gratitude for the freedoms we enjoy thanks to the sacrifices made by those past and present. This year was no different.
The week before Nov 11th we invited a former member of the military to come and speak to the Cubs. He was around my age and had served a dozen years, including 2 tours in Afghanistan.  It was absolutely fascinating and humbling to listen to him. It really touched home. Afterwards we had the boys work together to finger paint doves of peace (each boy had their own color) and they turned out great.
Throughout the following week I had the chance to teach several lessons (including art) in varying classrooms about why we pause to reflect.  I had a morning job at the neighboring school Nov 10th and attended a lovely ceremony there. I grabbed WR and headed to our school for the afternoon assembly (the school is so big they do 2). JA had been chosen by his classmates to present the gr1 wreath. He made me proud of the respectful manner in which he carried out his task. Without fail I was teary eyed throughout, this school does such a touching job. Thank you to all the brave men and women just never seems like enough.

1 comment: