Not sure how it happened but I seem to have managed to miss blogging for almost a month!
T had an exam to write but once that was done WR and I enjoyed his company while the big kids spent the day at school. We had to soak in the fall goodness a bit more!
We love having the beach to ourselves. Makes bird chasing that much more fun ;)
The following weekend we had AL's final race of the season. We packed a picnic and went nice and early to avoid the parking lot madness and had lots of fun playing.
I was so proud of the effort that this girl put into this race. Her dad met her at the 3/4 mark and cheered her on to the finish line running on the sidelines. She was very pleased with herself at the end!
That weekend I finally got everything finalized, certified, signed etc etc and was able to get onto the supply teacher system to look for work. It was so fun to have my first official day back as Mrs. H that week. It was extra fun because it was at the school in our old neighborhood in a gr.3 class of kids that AL had gone to kindergarten with. Always nice to know lots of the kids and teachers. I was nervous but within a couple hrs that old familiar feeling "like riding a bike" hit and I felt right at home.
JA has suddenly been hit with a love for literacy. He will spend hours writing and illustrating books and asking how to spell words. It just blows my mind away seeing him embrace something that has given him so much grief for years. We couldn't be more pleased.
One morning I was getting ready for work and was sure I could hear the boys running around but when I came out of my room they were no where to be seen. Tears welled in my eyes as I opened their door and found them snuggled together while JA read them one of this stories.
This past month has brought hrs of yard clean up, and winter prep. The basketball hoop and trampoline are stored for winter and gardens cleaned up. The Christmas lights are even up!
Over my 3 weeks of being back to work I have had a good 7 or more calls for full time employment. One job almost brought me to tears to turn down (my dream literacy job) BUT I know the timing just isn't right. I'm still toying with the idea of a part time position however but we will see (obviously a lot more prep work). Subbing has its challenging moments (hello GR6 girls that were rude and testing my limits)but overall it has been really great. I have always loved teaching and still do and I feel so much happiness knowing that I am using my education and could support my little family if needed. One highlight was getting paid to help (ie. tape books, look at frogs and visit)) this sweet lady whom I adore from church, in the library when I wasn't needed for more than an hr of actual teaching at her school!
WR has blown me away with how amazing he has handled the transition of me working several days/week. He is in love with Grandma (pretty much wants to live with her lol). And I find I really enjoy the time I spend with him on my days off that much more. A really nice balance. My big kids barely notice I am gone (usually just 10 mins before and after they go to and from school).
Last Friday T and I were planning to go on a date to our friends Halloween party but as the week wore on we seriously hadn't seen each other. We decided to just skip the party and go on a date. We finally went to the Piano Bar that we've been wanting to go to for years. It was so fun and so nice to spend hours just relaxing, enjoying amazing food, music and each other. And was made that much sweeter when he got a call late that afternoon offering him a job he had interviewed for weeks prior. A perfect opportunity to celebrate!!! So proud of T and how hard he works for our family.
These duelling pianists were amazing.
The next day was Halloween and we finally broke down and carved our pumpkins!
WR was supposed to be a dinosaur for Halloween but at the last minute he ran to the closet of costumes and was insistent on being a police.
So we compromised ;)
The kids had a blast and were so spoiled just on our street alone.
We live right off my parent's street. We got about 85 kids max on our street. Their street is like Halloween Town with amazing décor and atmosphere. The media caught wind of it all and their street that saw about 450 kids last year saw over 1000 kids. It was crazy! After 2 hitting 2 houses only on their street in the massive crowds I suggested to the kids we just walk past and look at the décor and then headed over a dead quiet side street.
We then cut back and headed to my parents. (And basically unloaded the kids candy for them to hand out to the masses at their door lol). I wish I could have gotten a better pic of the craziness. This was just as the fire truck that comes to hand out books was pulling out. It sure makes for a fun place for the kids!
I laughed when I glanced at JA a few minutes later with candy in each hand! Ironically the kids haven't even asked about their candy that I tucked up in the pantry for the last several days.
This past week has been busy with me teaching 3 days, kids in activities, parent teacher interviews, cubs (prep work and activity), house cleaning and all the prep work that has gone into getting ready for AL's baptism and dinner following later today. It never ceases to amaze me how well I am learning to use my time at home now that it is significantly less.
The biggest wrench thrown into all of our lives this past month has been sleepless, exhausting nights with JA who is scared of his own shadow and refuses to sleep in the middle of the night. I'm hoping like crazy things will settle down in the sleep department after a few slightly less disruptive nights. Parenting isn't for the faint of heart ;)































Great wrap up. That picture of James smiling over his novels just make me almost cry with happiness for him! Halloween around your place sounds seriously rad. Like the October version of candy cane lane :) did you see that ice castle thing coming to Edmonton after Christmas? I'd like to go. Way to go on the teaching! I'm a little envious.
ReplyDeleteSome residents call it "Candy Corn Lane" ha
ReplyDelete